Thread: Short Sci-fi/Thriller film "ABDUCTION"

1. Lightbulb Short Sci-fi/Thriller film "ABDUCTION"

Hello. I just made this Sci-fi/Thriller short film last week. This forum's advice really helped a lot on making this happen, so I just wanted to thank everyone for that. So pleas take a look and lease tell us your honest opinion. Every comment truly means a lot to us.
    Thanks again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOUJ0wqEFw8

I thought it was technically ok

i'm no longer a fan of silent film - you could have the character speak a few lines like "so what's up with anal probing anyway" and such - keeping it silent limits you in the same way that Star Trek enterprise limited itself by trying to explain all the events in the timeline

In general I liked it but although it's a short it has some lengths. Most scenes are rather static and the story it tells is not too rich.

Nice exercise in FX, atmosphere and lighting, you did well.

But where is the story? Stories have beginnings, middles and ends, otherwise it's just an exercise.

Great visuals and sound scape again. I thought it was cut together well and got a good performance from your actor. If you spend some time developing a full story line for this, you could end up with a very good movie.

This point seems to be the important point for you as you have developed your technical skills to a level were you need to show them off in a longer piece, to show you are not just a special effects wiz kid, which I supect from your teasers that you are not.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    you need to show them off in a longer piece, to show you are not just a special effects wiz kid, which I supect from your teasers that you are not.
    Thank you very much as always Midnight. Your thoughts have always been really important for me. After a very long year of production and postproduction my next short film is already finished and coming up very soon (the one I showed you the teaser for) This one is going to be about 20 minutes long and has a solid story. As always I would really love to hear your thoughts about it, I'll let you know the minute it is released. Thanks again for everything Midnight.

Blog Entries

Shots, lighting, grading, editing (in particular), audio all excellent in my opinion. Like others above, i'd like to see a more meaty story and look forward to your 20 min effort. My only negative comment was the dust mites (or whatever) rising at around 39s looked like they were stuck on the lens rather than part of the scene. But I've seen worse on TV.
    Tim

8. Default

Great cinematography, editing, effects an sound design, very professional......I agree with others about the story line though, didnt grab me for some reason.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Shots, lighting, grading, editing (in particular), audio all excellent in my opinion. Like others above, i'd like to see a more meaty story and look forward to your 20 min effort. My only negative comment was the dust mites (or whatever) rising at around 39s looked like they were stuck on the lens rather than part of the scene. But I've seen worse on TV.
    Thank you very much Tim. It means a lot coming from you. I'll let you know when my new short comes up. I would really love to hear your review on that one.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by moonmin troll View Post
    Great cinematography, editing, effects an sound design, very professional......I agree with others about the story line though, didnt grab me for some reason.
    Thank you! My next short is going to have a richer story, I'll let you know, when it's released!