Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its that time again...

Default Its that time again...

The summer workshop at my video club. it can mean only one thing ....... The Club Film de de dehhhh

we been shooting some test footage of this years filum a spy thriller with a twist

the test footage consist of two chaps sat at a desk talking to each other. now in an atempt to keep interest in what is quite a lenthy conversation i suggested we go for a hand held slight but constant movement look....... well

its put the cat among the pigeons with the oldies

i'll upload a bit of the footage for you to watch and tell me if it works. take into consideration these are two club members and not who will be playing the parts in the film. Also they are practically reading the script here.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

sounds cool to me.

and heres the clip that had the wrinklies sqwaking ....

'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Ahhhhhh !!!!! Far too radical.

Blog Entries

I hate wobble-cam, with a passion! Too often it's used to try and sex-up a boring scene or to put some tension in to a flat area. However, you can't polish a turd and it always shows the lack of a basis under the movement.

But... In this case I think it sort-of works. It's just on the limit, bearing in mind the underlying action and does add a voyeuristic feeling to the scene.

I say "keep it in".

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Far too radical. :
    one member was complaining about the over use of focus pull in the recent series of Luther.... same guy prefers the look of 4.3 to 16.9

Dose he still have a black & white telly.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Dose he still have a black & white telly.

naaaa, he gets his entertainment at the "music hall"

It was a bit squashy head for a while, and every now and again we'd get a flash of the side of a head before an edit. Not sure I'd qualify that as artistic.

No establishing shot, and you crossed 'Tims' line, naughty!

A couple of times you had a slide going, and that worked for me.

Stable slide shots, 4 or 5 of them would work well for this piece, and keep the old folks happy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    No establishing shot, and you crossed 'Tims' line, naughty!
    I don't think so. Some of the angles didn't cut together particularly well (it was a test shot) but "Derek" was always on the left of the screen, whether visible or not.

I also think slider shots would be better - if you have access, although Rob makes a fair point about the hh look being motivated by the voyeuristic nature.

I haven't seen Luther though I understand it's very good. It wouldn't surprise me if there's overuse of pull focus though. I don't mind one pull in a shot, but when it goes back and forth I find that is rather like a pan right followed by a pan left in the same shot - it feels like you're going backwards.

There are some exceptions in my own "bible of shots I have neither the equpment nor the skill to pull off but really want an excuse to try one day" One I like is where the person in the background is in focus and says something, the focus changes to the person in the foreground so we see the reaction. the foreground person then moves out of frame and we return focus to get the reation of the background person.

Nevertheless, even as it is it's far better looking than we manage at Staines.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast