Thread: How to mix picture and sound from different files?

Default How to mix picture and sound from different files?

Hi,

I have two copies of a movie, both .avi files. In one the picture, in the other the sound is much better. Is there any program to rip and merge the 'good part' from each?
    Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Georgey; 07-27-2013 at 05:32 AM.

Bring both movies into the one editor, giving you 2 tracks of video and 2 tracks of sound. Mute the two tracks you don't want, therefore rendering the two tracks you do want.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Bring both movies into the one editor, giving you 2 tracks of video and 2 tracks of sound. Mute the two tracks you don't want, therefore rendering the two tracks you do want.
    Thanks, that's what I reckoned with. Alas, the couple of editors that I tried don't show the video and the sound tracks separately. Could you please name a few editors where I can do that?
    Thank you very much.

Openshot can do the job but the windows version will only be available from the end of this year.

I suspect many of the editors on this page can perform the task. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...iting_software

Alternatively, one might prefer FFMPEG (http://ffmpeg.org/). For example, this command would take the 'video' from a file named "badsoundvideo.mp4" and the audio from a file named "goodsoundvideo.mp4"; and create a new video named "mynewvideo.mp4".

ffmpeg -i badsoundvideo.mp4 -i goodsoundvideo.mp4 -map 0:0 -map 1:1 mynewvideo.mp4
    Last edited by TimAndrews; 07-27-2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typo

Thank you both.

XXLRay, good to know that a solution is in prospect, I hope to find something sooner but I'm not sure at all.

TimAndrews, I have tried several editors, all so far offer to join the files as they are, not handpicked components, viz. picture or sound. I downloaded all three 64 bit versions of FFMPEG but could not find anything like setup.exe or install.exe; how to start it?

Quote Originally Posted by Georgey View Post
    could not find anything like setup.exe or install.exe; how to start it?
    FFMPEG does not require to be installed. Simply create a folder and put the the files there. Then, run FFMPEG from a CommandLine.
    The documentation can be found here http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html

run FFMPEG from a CommandLine.

Sorry for being such a rookie, but I always get this answer:
    'ffmpeg' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file
    I run Windows 8, may it be not compatible?

Use the 'cd' or "chdir" ("Change Directory') command; so that the path is pointing to the folder which contains FFMPEG.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
    For example, when running a Command Prompt, many Windows users will be placed into a folder such as "c:\windows\system32".
    If FFMPEG was located in a folder at "c:\temp\ffmpeg.exe", then the required "CD" command might be "cd c:\temp"

Thank you so much, I can run it now.