Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools tutorial first time with Youtube end slate

Default Tools tutorial first time with Youtube end slate

I just published my latest video. It is the first time I use an end slate:

I would like to know if I could improve something specific on the end slate.

Does the scrolling text in the beginning and in the end have about the right speed?

Are the subtitles displayed long enough (or too long)?

Blog Entries

Nice video, the double-titles were really annoying though. you had your title plus the youtube ones which resulted in both being difficult to read.

What do you mean about the "end slate?" An "end slate" is a clapperboard used to synchronize picture and sound. I didn't see one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    Nice video, the double-titles were really annoying though. you had your title plus the youtube ones which resulted in both being difficult to read.
    It seems as if you have captions enabled by default for Youtube. You can simply turn it off (or change their position if you want to see both). They are mainly intended to give deaf people additional information.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    What do you mean about the "end slate?" An "end slate" is a clapperboard used to synchronize picture and sound. I didn't see one.
    The Youtube world calls the scene after the main video which shall lead you to other videos an "end slate".

Typical internet...take one phrase known to many and turn it into a different meaning.

It wasn't my decision

Blog Entries

Pretty good.

A couple of things:

I like the idea of showing a timer top show the lapse of time, however (a) this seemed a bit out of place as you'd given all other instruction in captions and (b) you may think it's obvious, but I don't know whether you're soaking the stones for 10 seconds, minutes or hours!

I struggled to keep up with the reading (not so much the reading, but the reading plus the taking it in) at some points.

A music track with vocals definitely does not help when one is trying to read and understand text - the brain tries to make out what is being sung, so we have two streams of words going into our brains.
    Tim

Thank you for the answer. The vocal music is definitely an issue I have to consider for my next videos.

Concerning the captions I have maybe to think about recording me doing the commentary. So far I hesitate to do so as I don't have regular access to a suitable (quite) room. Maybe I should think about making the subtitles slightly longer for the meantime.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    I have maybe to think about recording me doing the commentary. So far I hesitate to do so as I don't have regular access to a suitable (quite) room. Maybe I should think about making the subtitles slightly longer for the meantime.
    A voiceover often comes across as more personal and is vastly preferable in most cases in my opinion. One exception is where you are listing items (like ingredients in a cookery programme) where on-screen captions should re-inforce the spoken word.
    You don't need much of a quiet room. You only need it to be quiet for a sentence at a time. Record onto a digital recorder (for just a voice a Zoom H1 would be perfectly adequate) under a duvet and you'll already have better audio than 99% of what's on YouTube.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Thank you for the answer. The vocal music is definitely an issue I have to consider for my next videos.

Concerning the captions I have maybe to think about recording me doing the commentary. So far I hesitate to do so as I don't have regular access to a suitable (quite) room. Maybe I should think about making the subtitles slightly longer for the meantime.
    if you'd like some inspiration, check out this video (I store inspirational videos away for when I want to do something similar)

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Record onto a digital recorder (for just a voice a Zoom H1 would be perfectly adequate) under a duvet and you'll already have better audio than 99% of what's on YouTube.
    I will maybe try to give my cell phone a first shot. These usually already come with good microphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    if you'd like some inspiration, check out this video
    That was really inspirational. I will try to take some ideas out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    (I store inspirational videos away for when I want to do something similar)
    On Youtube I use a private playlist for such.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast