Thread: Timelapse of trip to Sweden

Default Timelapse of trip to Sweden

This is my latest timelapse video of a trip to Sweden:

Last edited by XXLRay; 07-25-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Blog Entries

I didn't really see any point in this. With very few exceptions (the stars, for example) none of the shots benefitted from being time-lapse. Perhaps a snippet here and there of some time-laps of the driving would have added contrast to "scenic" shots (shot in real time) but I certainly lose interest in a film which is 70%+ shot out of the windscreen of a car very quickly. Sorry
    Tim

No need to be sorry. You gave me constructive feedback which I am here for ans appreciate. The times when I needed a community to tell me I am great although I am not for motivation are over

I agree that I exaggerated the chase scenes too much. Anyway the timelapse was not intended to serve a certain purpose it is the purpose itself.

I like the whole concept of the video. Next time I wouldn't put the beginning title sequence, it takes away from the professional feel. I also feel like the timelapse clips could have been a little bit longer than about 5 seconds. I would like to add that maybe you can add text for each timelapse describing where in Sweden you are. Overall I give it a 6/10.

Quote Originally Posted by iamayyejay View Post
    Next time I wouldn't put the beginning title sequence, it takes away from the professional feel.
    Do you mean the scrolling introduction text or the animated logo before the video actually begins?

Quote Originally Posted by iamayyejay View Post
    I also feel like the timelapse clips could have been a little bit longer than about 5 seconds.
    That's actually a caused by the nature of timelapse videos . All shots already took at least half an hour to capture and some even more. I just couldn't stay longer to take more footage although I would have liked to.

I have seen several attempts to create interesting footage from cameras in cars using timelapse. Perhaps I first saw the effect (as a young boy) in films of steam engines' long train journeys. It felt logical that the same thing, using a car, would be just as exciting. In the clips which I have seen, it is clearly not.

IMHO, the most ugly results occur from shaking car and camera. It make it hard for the viewer to feel stable, the jerking of the movements of nearby slow moving objects (arising because the timelapse has missed a huge amount of the action), interference from the car windscreen (which also reduces colour and contrast), and the lack of any compensation for the 'missing' frames.

I suggest the solutions part depend on whether the high speed journey is intended either to suggest the vehicle is actually travelling at high speed, or whether the clip is intended to highlight the different vistas on the journey, or simply to show how uncomfortable it must be to jerk so much while driving.

Another difference between the original 'train' films I watched, is that the rails (like the road) are visible in the distance; but unlike roads, the guage remains the same; thus offering something pretty to watch at the bottom of the frame. In car clips, we tend to see a dashboard.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    In car clips, we tend to see a dashboard.
    I am a bit confused. Do you mean there should be a dashboard? I ask because in my video there isn't one.

Anyway as most of you concentrate on the car chase I definitely used too much material from it