Thread: Advice on getting credit for work

Default Advice on getting credit for work

Hi everyone,

New to the forum.

So I am wrapping up completion on a full length indie film that I am serving as the Editor for. I wanted to get some advice on additional credits or shared credits that might be justified for the work I have done on this film.

I was brought in to edit this film, a very troubled production no less, and so far was able to negotiate through my contract that I will be credited as the sole editor on the film and negotiated a Producer credit as well (mainly because of the creative input I had with getting reshoots and pickups as well film marketing tasks that I agreed to taking over).

So, not to be greedy with wanting credits, but there are several things I am doing with respect to FX and Color correction as well as Sound. I am working closely with the Sound Designer and Composer but I am actually doing a lot of work with the sound in FCP. For instance, I am constantly have to make adjustments to the sound and do additional cleanup as needed and I am working out the build and sound separation for the 5.1

So would it be fair to ask for additional credits on the film and what other credits should I be asking for?

Thanks.

So would it be fair to ask for additional credits on the film and what other credits should I be asking for?
    No, I don't think so.

Perhaps I am just thinking aloud. When I see the same name appearing against more than one credit, I tend to think: 'This person has done alot, but perhaps the quality has suffered because they were so busy'. The solution may depend on *why* the OP would want their name to appear multiple times.
    To avoid having more Credits, how about changing the Title (the more meaninless the better) of one of the Credits. For example: Instead of "Producer", one could use "Production Editor", "Production Media Editor".

I agree with the above. Your CV should list everything you did but as long as your name appears at least once in the actual credits you are golden.

As for myself, I love to see my name in big fonts all over the credits. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Geminii View Post
    So, not to be greedy with wanting credits, but there are several things I am doing with respect to FX and Color correction as well as Sound.
    But . . . That's an editors job
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Surely the same name appearing under several guises reflects the small-size of the Team . . . ?
    Better to be known as the Editor and leave it at that?

There might be some personal advantage in keeping a copy (clearly marked) of the "original version" and another of your "improved version" - which should be viewed first and then the Original may be seen as a poor second . . . . er, if it is, yep.

You might negotiate a Royalty if the number of view goes above a reasonable figure, so if it goes Global, you will benefit . . . Money speaks volumes. I believe a similar arrangement sometimes applies to the Actors who joining "nearly for free" on the basis it looks "interesting" and hope it goes even better, in which case they will get a return.

Thank you to all for the great responses. In my Producer contract, I negotiated a deal if we are able to get distribution.

I guess my thinking was that I understand how important getting credits on films are. More so than money since those credits become a proven part of your resume. So that is why I wanted to make sure that I get as many credits as appropriate. Yes, since this is an independent film with a low-budget several people have multiple credits so I guess I wasn't worried that it would seem odd for me to have multiple credits for sound stuff, fx, etc.

It's starting to sound as though there are more credits than film lol.

I hope these credits are at the end, which nobody watches unless they really care, in which case take a hundred of them.

Give yourself one credit (your highest personal credit) during the opening, (where you may only list 5 people or so), therefore it's just as important as the 99 at the end?
    Last edited by Stripe; 07-17-2013 at 09:13 AM.