Thread: completely confused

Default completely confused

Hi Everyone,

I have a Canon MD 205 video camera. I also have 6 hours of tape from Viet Nam. I have PowerDirector 11 Ultra and no idea of what to do with the files. Well, not true. I have Capture and I can see the video. But I don't know what format the film should be sent to my computer in. I have DV I can't find others in the software.The DV AVI file seems huge to me. In total I have 6 hours of short play tapes and I want to have something like a one hour film.

If that's clear, can someone please advise on file type, if there's a better one, or how much hard drive space I'll need with this file.

Sorry to bother you all with such trivial matters but I'm now a pensioner who's not good with computers/software nor video editing but I really want to learn. Off to Sri Lanka in 3 weeks so more opportunities for me but no point if I can't edit the film.

Thanks in advance,

britpol

Hi britpol - I'll answer the bits I can help with. You should be able to capture via most firewire cards into your chosen editor and the hard drive will need to be around 90gb
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Hi Zero,

Many, many thanks to you my friend. So I should use the DV format. Id the 90gb for 1 film or the 6 one and a half hour films?

britpol

When you capture from the tape in your camera as Zero describes your computer creates the DV .avi files automatically, this is a great format for editing standard definition footage because is is not as compressed as some other formats, this is why the files are big.

When you have done the editing render the video as an mpeg2 if you are making a DVD or mp4 if it's for computer viewing, this will give you a good quality video but a much smaller files size.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    When you capture from the tape in your camera as Zero describes your computer creates the DV .avi files automatically, this is a great format for editing standard definition footage because is is not as compressed as some other formats, this is why the files are big.

When you have done the editing render the video as an mpeg2 if you are making a DVD or mp4 if it's for computer viewing, this will give you a good quality video but a much smaller files size.
    Thanks Midnight,

So I think I'm ready now. I'll buy another HD and copy to that. It will be a Tb portable. That should do the job.

No clubs here in Poland and people who know, won't speak English. Not known to be helpful the Poles. Lived here 17 years so I can say that.

Thank you so much for the help,

britpol