Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio problem on Canon xf100

1. Default Audio problem on Canon xf100

Probably a schoolboy error on my part but after spending a full day of filming my video has no sound.

Okay, the camera I was using was a Canon XF100 and I had an external micrphone hooked up to the external microphone CH2 slot. Playing back the video on the camera, we had excellent footage and sound. However, when I have just tried transferring the files to my computer and converting the MXF files into Mpegs using Pavtube (I have to do this because the Sony Vegas software I use does not recognise the files), I have found that there is no sound accompanying my video. I have tried converting to several different file formats such as WMV and MP4 but to no avail...still no sound. I have tried and tested this before with success but I now distinctly remember the microphone being plugged into the external CH1 slot instead. So, is there anything I can do to resolve this or have I just wasted a days filming for myself and my 6 cast and crew members? Is there any audio codec that will rescue it or anything I can do using the camera menu and options to resolve it.

Your guidance is appreciated.

You say it plays fine with sound on the camera so we know it's ok. don't to delete anything from the camera until we know we have everything off it we need.

I have a camera that records .mxf files (which is just a wrapper) with separate audio files. I don't know if your camera does the same. Do you have any sort of media player that will play your files before you convert them ? If you have followed this procedure before successfully then this time you may have failed to tick the save audio option or similar.

As I said so long as you haven't deleted anything and it plays ok on the camera we should be fine.

AS MB said, if you can hear sound while watching on the camera, the sound was (is) recorded. The problem is just on the file transfer to the computer, what can be solved sooner or later. I have no experience with .mxf files,

4. Default

Yes, it plays fine with the sound on the camera. I have not and will not delete the files. Would it be worth my while ringing Canon tomorrow to see if they can offer any advice?

Starting from the basic:

1) you download the files from the camera to your computer using the software provided with the camera (via USB for example) or just copy everything from a SD card that you take from camera and insert in the computer´s card reader? The first option usually works better, as the original software will organize files that compose the clips (sound. video, indexing)

2) after step 1, can you open the files on your computer by using any sort of viewer? In case yes, with sound??

3) you say you need to convert the original files to .mp4 in order to use them in Vegas.... what version of Vegas are you using? Cause the newer versions are quite good on digesting zillions of file types.... I can´t imagine it not working with Canon´s files.... but, as I said, no experience with mxf.

Here (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/io ) they say that Vegas Pro 12 can handle your mxf files, so maybe you can try the demo version and check if it really works.....
    Last edited by TonyBR; 07-15-2013 at 03:31 AM.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Starting from the basic:

1) you download the files from the camera to your computer using the software provided with the camera (via USB for example) or just copy everything from a SD card that you take from camera and insert in the computer´s card reader? The first option usually works better, as the original software will organize files that compose the clips (sound. video, indexing)

2) after step 1, can you open the files on your computer by using any sort of viewer? In case yes, with sound??

3) you say you need to convert the original files to .mp4 in order to use them in Vegas.... what version of Vegas are you using? Cause the newer versions are quite good on digesting zillions of file types.... I can´t imagine it not working with Canon´s files.... but, as I said, no experience with mxf.

Here (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/io ) they say that Vegas Pro 12 can handle your mxf files, so maybe you can try the demo version and check if it really works.....
    1. I have been using a card reader (the camera uses compact flash cards) to transfer the footage to my pc, never tried a direct transfer from the camera to my pc.

2. No, nothing on my pc can play the files as MXF.

3. I'm afraid it's only the cheap Vegas Movie Home Studio.

Thanks for the link, i'll try the demo version and see what happens.

7. Default

Sony vegas 12 is like a knight in shining armour. Yes, it works complete with sound. Only trouble is it's £389. At the end of the day, I've learnt a valuable lesson, and that is to stop being a cheapskate, if I am wanting to take making films seriously, then I need a serious piece of software. Oh well, Looks like a trip to my bank manager

Can't thank you enough for your help and tips guys, thankyou very, very much!! My worst fear was that i'd wasted everyones time on our shoot and that really wouldn't have looked good! Phew!!

If you cannot play the canon files on yr PC, then I would contact Canon - surely that is a reason others might not buy the camcorder?

Whilst Vegas Movie-Studio is a budget software, it is amazingly powerful and I don't think you can blame it for the lack of compatability between Canon and PC.
    Panasonic and Sony are able to equip their camcorders with files that are easy to watch on a PC, so what's canons angle? - That would be interesting.

I'm curious to know how you used the Camcorder beforehand . . .or was this a case of its first outing? That's a dangerous ploy IMHO - indeed any shoot involving expense should use more than one camcorder, if only as an insurance against some fault developing, or dropping, etc.

Good Luck - do let us know the outcome, etc.

EDIT (TonyBR) - Certainly a Pro should be using the "pro-version", but contacting Canon would still be instructive . . . my own copy of Movie Studio makes no reference (quick look) to the Canon file extension . . . odd that.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 07-15-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Glad your files are OK and that you found a solution.... I also recently moved from the Vegas Platinum to the PRO 12.... quite expensive, but sometimes you get nice discounts. Wait a bit to buy (use the demo a few more days), as they will probably send you an e-mail with a rebate or discount coupon. I got a 30% discount, what is a lot of money saved. Also try writing to the customer service and ask for a discount/coupon.... it WORKS!!!

Agree with VidManners.... Your camera must bring some sort of software to let you watch/work your movies with a computer..... Of course they may say that you just need an hdmi cable for that, but.....

There may be less expensive solutions too, but sometimes a higher package solves more that 1 or 2 problems at the same time!

10. Default

The camera was bought quite late into our project and I really didn't get to know enough about it. My own fault as I didn't do any research into buying the camera, I just assumed that with it being a Canon professional bit of kit...it would be a breeze.....naivity has cost me!!

I shall definately look into the discounts, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast