Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerusalem

Default Jerusalem

Here is my first crack at editing a Gospel Music video.

Sorry Digger but it doesn't really work for me. I don't know if it's the subject/song or the fact that it was just a slideshow of illustrations but I just found it quite dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Sorry Digger but it doesn't really work for me. I don't know if it's the subject/song or the fact that it was just a slideshow of illustrations but I just found it quite dull.
    I understand your point of view. I was trying to visually tell the story behind the song using the images. Could not find any stock video from the period.
    Thanks for the feedback, though.

Rule # 1 - "make the movie to your audience, not to you"..... so I believe it may work quite well on churches for example, where the images may have much more meaning. As a hobbyst here, Ill ignore the rule #1 "just" always, so it does not pleases me too. Present day shots of Jerusalem would mean more to me for example, as it seems to be a very interesting city with an interesting mix of cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Rule # 1 - "make the movie to your audience, not to you"..... so I believe it may work quite well on churches for example, where the images may have much more meaning. As a hobbyst here, Ill ignore the rule #1 "just" always, so it does not pleases me too. Present day shots of Jerusalem would mean more to me for example, as it seems to be a very interesting city with an interesting mix of cultures.
    You are absolutely correct with rule #1. I made this for a client (the singer) to appeal to his type of following, "church folks" and I did it free of charge, as I looked at it as an editing exercise and a chance to do something different. To be honest, if I was going for a general audience I would have no idea how to present such subject material. I am open to suggestions on HOW to better accomplish that. Thanks for the feedback. Greatly appreciated.

Go for dark shots with candles and lot's of shallow depth of field. Chuck in a large splosh of slow mo and you're half way there.

I cannot remember the name of the effect - but this clip might be transformed by it.
    The effect is the one where masks are used for different areas of the image (based on the object's distance); then enlarging and moving the 'layers' to give the impression of a "3d" image from a standard "2d". The downside is that the effect may require alot of extra work.

I think you mean the ken burns effect. I mean the real 3D style not just the pan &/or zoom of a still.

Like what is shown in THIS TUTORIAL

Surely that was what he used [Ken Burns]- zooming about what were existing art-works . . . slight worry re Copyright.
    I didn't watch much but I think in the opening shots the Singer should be made clear as this would make the subject (of the Film) clearer to the audience.
    This should be re-introduced regularly, just to make sure the Audience "got it"
    It may be that a church audience would like it more, but it's still a collection of artworks with little historic/=timeline content, although it's possible the song added another dimension . . . I was too busy seeing the art to worry about vocals . . . something that I'm inclined to shut out as it can take away concentration from the story unfolding.

I doubt it could be given to an audience of young children as a teaching aid . . . so wouldn't it be better to concentrate on the singer, perhaps whilst a service is on-going. Bring in the Art when the song demands it, but as I said I was "probably" paying attention to the wrong aspect of the event.

Second viewing. . . .at the point where the singer's name appears we should see him, it could be a small PIP walking along a dusty road in a traditional robe . . . if kept small the audience will connect the PIP to the City view . . . . you have "placed" the subject into the "Context" . . . . .
    er, if that helps.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 07-16-2013 at 10:37 PM.

It seemed suitable for purpose, although I wouldn't have been shy to include some transparencies of the singer occasionally.

I notice at 1.46 that you tried to work with the stills, think you did all you could for what was wanted.

I'd also like to hear Morrissey sing it, give it some grit lool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast