Thread: 1st drum play-through vid

Default 1st drum play-through vid

I was wondering what you guys thought of this. I just put this together earlier this week for a longtime friend, drummer Mike Kreger (Pearl, Vic Virth, Axis), formerly of Detroit thrash metal band Battlecross, who are actually getting pretty big now after being hand picked by Metallica to perform at this years Orion Music+ More Festival. It's a pretty crazy blend of genre's.

I don't have a great lightning set up, so I just brought along a couple bell lamps, one being a 150W "natural light" bulb, and the one behind the set a standard what ever he had in his house bulb. He wanted to run with what this is, instead of me trying out a few different post color correction/vid-fx versions. He wants me to to do more these for him, so any suggestions for future vids would be awesome!

Very interesting. Thanks for posting it.
    I sense a difficulty with the multiscreen (or whatever we call picture in picture nowadays). The original shots all appear to be pleasantly framed, which leaves very little room to position the additional frame. It looks as if the editor had to work hard to choose which quadrant to use in order to cover up the least useful parts of the frame. Even so, I think it leaves some sections looking odd (e.g. @ 01:57).
    I suppose that in hindsight, if one was originally intending to use multiscreen; then the original filming would have framed the shots to leave a nice (and unimportant) area in the frame. I might guess the multiframe was intended to prevent the clip being a bit boring; but wonder if it might have been done elsehow by making more (and faster) cuts between scenes.

I think Tim has hit the nail on the head adding a pic in pic to a shot that can't really cope with it does look odd. I understand you wanted to show the foot work. May be having quarter screens for a time might be an answer.

By the way the drumming was mad. I suppose drumming at 4 times the original speed of the song is the thrash style and I applaud an attempt to blend it with something diametrically opposed but this time it's didn't like my candle.

I agree with the above comments entirely. Pic in pic doesn't work! - Far, far better to have cuts (as you have in a few instances) to tight cu of feet/hands/drum/stix etc.
    As an ex drummer (who never mastered the double bass drum pedal) this guy is obviously a very competent stixman, but personally I hated the mix of song and drum style - Didn't work for me at all! Love to hear him on something more sympathetic to his style.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Thanks so much for the feedback guys. I didn't even think to leave space in the main shots for the Picture in Picture bass drum cam (which the artist was adamant of having, and he actually wanted it through the whole thing). The PiP thing is kind of the norm for the higher quality drum play through videos these days, and they are almost always 1/4 of the screen when used. This was my 1st ever attempt at a video like this, and I think it helped prepare me a little bit for making actual music videos for artists. I have my 1st one coming up here in the near future, and it's a pretty elaborate WWI themed video, with costume, horses and all that jazz.

Most people in the metal scene hate pop music (as do I), but for some reason Mike actually likes Rihanna, and chose to do this song not only for the really odd pairing, but for some sentimental reasons behind his parting with Battlecross. Not to mention a lot of people more likely to stumble across this video before a vid of an lesser/unkown song. The next ones he is doing will be straight up thrash and death metal.

Thank again for the tips and I'll keep you guys informed and let you know what happens next.

Yep, the musical mix was terrible..... Client´s option, I know..... We can only lament!! The exactly same video without the Rihanna would be much more interesting? Another point is the background, looked quite bad with all those seams... I had just one experience photographing a band, and I took them to a high place where I got the city in the background. It was an all B&W job, so it looked quite good in the end. Sound (wind) is a problem in such conditions of course; Maybe you can solve the split screen question by giving more space to the pip, I mean, make it 50/50, as the detail is as important as the main take..

I agree that the background is a bit boring. Was it intended that way? In my opinion just a brick stone wall would already be a tremendous improvement.

Somehow I disagree with the others concerning the pip. Make it slightly smaller, shift it a bit more to the center and add a surrounding frame to separate it from the rest and it would work fine for me. As you usually use it to show the foot work I would always place it at the bottom instead of switching positions. Seeing feet at the top somehow mixed up my mind.