Thread: Strange!!

Default Strange!!

I transfer video files via USB2 to a duplicator. This has always been flawless until this week, when the file doubles in size. I've copy pasted into my other PC folders with no problem, just the transferred duplicator files that are a problem. Any help appreciated!!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

This is really strange if you just copied the files I don't see how it's possible for them to change size. Is it possible that you accidentally sent two copies of the file to the duplicator ?

The strangest thing I've ever seen Dave and despite contacting the duplicator suppliers they had no clues either.
    They suggested formatting the hard drive, replacing it, or 75 to test it.
    It happened no matter what the video file type too. Even known working files that were deleted from the hard drive then returned became doubled in size.

I have however found the cause . . . . Norton!! Disabling Norton's firewall and anti virus resolved it!

We upgraded Norton a month ago and when the first copyright protected DVD file was sent - it doubled in size. Never thought it would affect files like this but I searched t'net and found others were experiencing it with excel files that wanted burning to DVD.
    Hope it helps others somewhere down the line
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

It's good you found the cause but it's still baffling that Norton AV would do this to a file. The only way I can logic this out to my self is if the file is being sent via two routes, one via the AV software and one direct to the duplicator BUT the duplicator was fooled into think it was only one source some how.

Well it's a theory !

The very first time it did fail, it showed the 3.2gb thumbnail in the duplicator, but no file transfer window. Then when it was disconnected a message came up with something like 'data execution failed'. hmmm After a few more trials, I decided to leave it for a while and as well as the 3.2gb thumbnail showing, it eventually showed the file transfer window. On completion this 3.2gb thumbnail morphed int 6.4gb.

I must admit it baffled everyone, but I'm relieved I found the cause before it cost us a new hard drive and more wasted trials/hours.
    If I hadn't spotted the other messages online about Norton doubling the file size on transferring to DVD, it could have gone on for months!