Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In need of a spring clean?

Blog Entries

Default In need of a spring clean?

I've tried to steer clear of fundamental changes to the forum during the last few years. However, as traffic continues to decline, I think it's about time we had a re-think over the categories and sub-catogories. Fir example make it clear that the Sony Vegas forum is dedicated to that software. Do you have any thought/opinions/recommendations?

Blog Entries

Here are my thoughts

New sections
    • Amateur video editing clubs
    • Request free support

Just for fun
    • Remove all stickies with the exception of the guide to working for free. Move the guide to the guides section and include a link here.

Forum announcements and news
    • Remove all stickes and create guides for each. Include links to the guides in a FAQ sticky.

Pimp the link
    • No changes

The Viewing room
    • Demote VOTM hall of fame and Video of the Month subsections of User videos
    • Remove sticky vote to win
    • Move channel pimpage to new category of "Film and video promotion"

Get Creative

• Move social media to new category of "Film and video promotion"

Video Edting: Software Problems and buying advice

• Rename to: Video editing help, experit tips and advice
    • Rename general software problems to General video editing software help and advice
    • Merge AVCHD and HDV to general software problems
    • Rename the white rooms to FCPX help and advice
    • Rename Adobe Premiere... to Adobe Creative Cloud video editing apps help and advice. Include subsections for Elements
    • Merge Blue Ray... to general software problems
    • Merge Pinnacle to general software problems
    • Sound Recording... move to new category "Film and video production techniques"
    • Let there be light... As above

Hardware: PCs and Camcorders

• Digital SLRs - move to new category "Film and video production techniques"
    • Hardware problems - rename to Technology advice and tips and move to new category "Film and video production techniques"
    • Camcorder reviews... - Merge with above
    • The perfect video editing PC - Merge with the above
    • Ebay classifieds - No chnage - keep as only secion in an Video and film gear classifieds

The professionals

• Move all to new category new category "Film and video production techniques"

I think having a separate software editing help sections is a good idea. As I can help with Sony but not Adobe questions. You seem to have omitted the separate Sony Vegas help section.

Blog Entries

Agreed. I propose keeping the Vegas and Adobe sections.

Blog Entries

I also think that having a professional area is a bit of a waste of time. It might be worth having a "weddings and corporate" section somewhere though.

The "What's New" appears to be changed: -now I have to read through lots of stuff, rather than before when it was very easy-going . . . . can you explain the advantage you see in the change?

Blog Entries

I don't see any real benefit (or much traffic) in having a video clubs section. Generally they're only mentioned when someone posts a question and a regular thinks it may be worth the OP investigating local clubs OR when enc or I post a sample of what one of our clubs is doing which quite happily go into the Just For Fun or User Vids section depending on what type of feedback 9if any) we want.

Request free support? How would that differ from people asking advice in more specific secton (eg Vegas, Premiere, or any of the sections under the proposed Film 7 Production techniques)?

I think the "professional" section serves two purposes - the "Weddings and Corporate" as Rob suggests but also the "looking for work/looking to hire" which, although limited in traffic at present, should be a prominent category.
    Tim

I only use the sections when I want to post a new thread, and that's only because I have to. Sometimes I go there to find an old post, which is a nightmare because you don't know where it is anyway. I usually go to the OP's profile and find the message in their history.

I get the impression it is only the original group of members that even consider the sections.

Favoured forums have one long list of latest posts with the section they belong to listed in a column at the side of them.

This would suit me, as I'd rather see the latest 40 or 50 posts down a page. The current system showing the last 10 posts, means posts can be missed, then fall into the sections, and unless you research every section you will never see them again. I'd be surprised if the regular user researches sections.

May be just me, but if you did a survey you may find only 10% use the sections. I think you would appeal to the standard market if you had a page of posts as there are more subjects of interest to attract new responses.

As it is, the last 10 posts can be a motley bunch at times, and give a ghost town impression to a newcomer. In today's WebWorld, if it ain't in their face, they ain't gonna go looking for it.
    Last edited by Stripe; 07-29-2013 at 01:50 AM.

+1 for Stripe's views.

Blog Entries

Interesting. I only ever use the sections. Perhaps I'm missing something so I thought I'd try the "new posts" method.

How on earth do you guys navigate using it? I gave it a try.
    I assume we start off by looking at the "Latest Posts" list which appears at the to when you click "Forum"

I selected a post and read it.
    Where to next? OK, I guess I click forum again.
    The post I just read is in the latest post list and there's no indication I've read it.
    Surely that's not the way to go???

OK, I'll take a look at "New Posts" link.
    Ah, OK that seems to work.

This is fine while the forum is quiet, but I prefer the "sections" approach and this is why...

There are sections I am always interested in (User Vids, fun, news & announcements, Vegas and Midnight Blues secret conspiracy section that I'm not sure everyone has access to)
    There are sections I'm interested in "as and when" I have time on my hands.
    There are sections I'm rarely, if ever interested in (White Room, Premiere) though I may like to browse "eventually"

Using sections I can see at a glance whether there is anything new in the sections I simply must read - particularly useful when I don't have much time on my hands. I can leave all the stuff in the other sections in an "unread" state and come back to them later.

If I'm simply presented with a list of threads with new posts, I have to read it to make a decision as to whether I want to read it now or save for later. And Once I've read it there's no way to tell whether I've really read it or whether I want to save it for later.

As mentioned, I'll frequently view threads in the User Vids. Someone may post a vid which I want to come back to to view more thoroughly (and maybe comment on). By using sections I can easily go back to User Vids to remind myself what was posted recently and check if I wanted to review any - working with just a list of new posts I'd find this tougher.

I appreciate stripe & vkmast aren't advocating getting rid of sections and no-one is suggesting I will lose my preferred means of navigating, but I would have thought that working on a "New Posts" method is likely to mean (a) you're going to see a lot more stuff you're not interested in - and I accept it's only a click to open and a click to close - and (b) you may miss stuff you are interested in.

Personally I'd love a facility to mark a thread/post for "review later" so I could do a quick scan and mark those I want to study in more detail.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast