Thread: Concern over editing AVCHD wedding footage

Tampa, Florida

Default Concern over editing AVCHD wedding footage

I own a Sony Handycam HDR-CX230 that records in AVCHD (.MTS).

Before now all I have been filming are things like Florida wildlife and myself doing stupid things. I haven't taken the time to edit any of these, instead opting to store them on my computer until I "have the time." But recently a friend of mine had a wedding. There was a professional photographer there for most of the event but no one had a camera. Seeing as how I happen to carry mine everywhere I figured what the hell, why not record a few things. Well, a few things turned into the whole event plus several testimonials from friends and family.

I, in a moment of hubris, offered to edit and present the wedding video to my friend as a sort of gift. The only problem is, I've never edited digital video in my life. I took a photography and film making elective in high school in 2003 but it was more photography and less film making. I did make several videos but they were all still images put together in 30 FPS clips, not any actual footage.

I quickly realized that my format wasn't working with your run-of-the-mill programs so I began searching for compatible editing software. I can't remember the one I came across that finally allowed me to edit the video, but the first thing I noticed was that the quality was drastically reduced. Because several clips are shot in the evening I can't have this if it is avoidable. I need to know an appropriate editing software that allows me to keep the high quality. I would go and buy a bit of software, but I'm afraid of spending my money in the wrong place and not getting what I was looking for, losing quality, or hell - being lied to altogether. Vendors will say anything to get you to spend money.

Any advice would be welcome! Very excited to get started working on the film.

Blog Entries

There's no need for concern. AVCHD is a breeze to edit (providing you have a relatively new computer and the latest software). I use adobe premiere cs6 to edit AVCHD. Take a look at my vimeo account to see the quality of output.