Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to start? Guidance needed

Default How to start? Guidance needed

My mother has a single yoga room where she meets with her geriatric clients daily. She uses a cordless microphone that is strapped on her clothing.
    Due to restraint of transportation, lots of her clients have asked to watch their class online. She is thinking of creating a new 60-minute video on a weekly basis . Thus she will get good use out of the camera.
    I know that after the raw video, she will have to hire someone to edit and place on her website…. I will pursue that later.
    I want to purchase an excellent video camera that has an audio input so it can record her wireless microphone. The camera will be placed on a tripod 10 feetaway to view her and some of the clients.
    I am looking at Canon XA25 and Sony NEX-VG30H. The former has an XLR audio input which would fit her wireless microphone. The latter has Stereo minijack which I would have to buy an xlr adapter.
    Is this overkill? If not, which or other suggestion? Of course I want to save $. At the sametime, this endeavor will keep her busy and help her clients.
    Thanks for your help.

I think this is total overkill for what you are doing.

I may get some flack for what I am about to say but here goes:

- Your mom's cordless mic probably transmits to some box that has an output you can tap into. I would use an Olympus voice recorder from their WS series to capture the audio.
    - Your camera phone takes great HD video. You can move around the room a bit and make the video more interesting than just showing one static view.
    - You can easily synchronize the audio and video tracks in ten seconds since your phone captures audio as well (i.e. just match up the same sound in the timeline); remember to turn off the phone's audio track in your editor before exporting the finished movie.

Personally I think you're on exactly the right track. Good audio will make your high quality endeavours more watchable. Check out the menu systems and low light on both cams and go for the one with best reviews, as I can't help on model numbers.
    Filming for one hour on a mobile phone and expecting it to consistently record is asking an awful lot and I don't even know why I'm wasting the time responding to such an absurd suggestion on a video forum.
    We need an unlike button!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

I would go with the Sony just because you can exchange lenses....as filming inside a room may ask for extra wide angle lenses. Guess it comes with an 18-200 zoom, so maybe the 18 is a good starting point. Since yoga is not a high motion activity, maybe you can use a boom pole/mic right over/front your mother, in order to get her instructions (and even breathing) cristal clear. A tripod + a dolly looks interesting on this case, so you can add movement around her while exercising. Editing can be fun! Try a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I think this is total overkill for what you are doing.

I may get some flack for what I am about to say but here goes:

- Your mom's cordless mic probably transmits to some box that has an output you can tap into. I would use an Olympus voice recorder from their WS series to capture the audio.
    - Your camera phone takes great HD video. You can move around the room a bit and make the video more interesting than just showing one static view.
    - You can easily synchronize the audio and video tracks in ten seconds since your phone captures audio as well (i.e. just match up the same sound in the timeline); remember to turn off the phone's audio track in your editor before exporting the finished movie.
    Thanks for your response.
    My mother is blessed with great ears and eyes. Listening to my high-end stereo system, she can tell whether I have changed tubes on my amplifier. She can tell whether the picture taken is from her Canon 7D or the NEX5 (which also has 18-200 lens). We tried taking the video from the 7D and she said it is not good enough. Like she is paying the for the new camcorder. She is now more expensive than most teenager!
    I don't know whether having the video online will downgrade the original so much that it does not matter the original source.

TonyBR and Zero,
    By the time the finished footage is online, will the online version reflect the quality of the originals?
    Pardon me for my ignorance. For an example, a Nikon D800 with its 36.3 megapixels is not better than the D600 24.3 megapixels for portrait photography. Now if I were to use it for professional billboard, then the higher megapixels is important.

Blog Entries

If she thinks the footage from the 7D is not good enough, it is not being used correctly!

It is capable of vastly superior footage than the XA25 (and presumably better than the VG30) and will have better low light performance.
    There could be many reasons contributing to this - quite apart from the possibilities of settings on the camera itself, there's how it's mounted and lighting to consider.

The two big failings of the 7D in this situation would be the lack of an xlr mic input (no biggie - use an external recorder and sysn in post or user a preamplifier like the BeachTek you linked to) and the fact you will not beable to shoot continuously for the hour session.

If you go down the Canon route there is absolutely no need to buy the XA25. The XA20 in every way except one - it does not have SDI output (which is only of use if you are in a broadcast type envirnment, mixing output from different cameras, or if you wnat to record 4:2:2 colour space direct to external disk (although you can do this on the XA20 as well via the HDMI out)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    If she thinks the footage from the 7D is not good enough, it is not being used correctly!

It is capable of vastly superior footage than the XA25 (and presumably better than the VG30) and will have better low light performance.
    There could be many reasons contributing to this - quite apart from the possibilities of settings on the camera itself, there's how it's mounted and lighting to consider.

The two big failings of the 7D in this situation would be the lack of an xlr mic input (no biggie - use an external recorder and sysn in post or user a preamplifier like the BeachTek you linked to) and the fact you will not beable to shoot continuously for the hour session.

If you go down the Canon route there is absolutely no need to buy the XA25. The XA20 in every way except one - it does not have SDI output (which is only of use if you are in a broadcast type envirnment, mixing output from different cameras, or if you wnat to record 4:2:2 colour space direct to external disk (although you can do this on the XA20 as well via the HDMI out)
    The Audio issues was one that bugged her. She watches her video feed again and again and not having the sound (Pre Production) and constantly having the use another cards for the 60 mins compounded the issue.

I will checkout the XA20. Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by Nancyh1990 View Post
    TonyBR and Zero,
    By the time the finished footage is online, will the online version reflect the quality of the originals?
    Pardon me for my ignorance. For an example, a Nikon D800 with its 36.3 megapixels is not better than the D600 24.3 megapixels for portrait photography. Now if I were to use it for professional billboard, then the higher megapixels is important.
    Hi Nancy! Yes, it makes a big difference. The "online" compression over a well captured image is different from the online compression result over a lower grade capture. Not to mention that a higher grade camera will give you more room to compose different shots. But Zami was not wrong by saying that you can get good results from an Iphone. Smart takes and a creative editing over a good story is more important than image quality. The 7D MUST give you great results! Similar or even better than the cameras you´re planning to buy with an external recorder. Check the settings, as something must be wrong. On this link ( The DSLR Cinematography Guide ) you will find some good advice to start with your dslr filming. You already have the camera, invest on sound capturing.
    Last edited by TonyBR; 06-28-2013 at 01:57 PM.

You have obviously struck up an interesting conversation (thank you).

I don't understand why your 7D is not adequate. You need to get the settings right and it should be fine.

If your mother is running a bona fide yoga class, then she will have a) incense burning, b) Tibetan music playing, c) chimes going off at random times and d) dim lighting. Hence, assuming that the voice audio is a direct connection to the camera, what you really need in your camera is excellent low light performance as this would be the normal situation in a (bona fide) yoga class. If you are picking a new camera, then keep this at the top of the list of features. If you can't capture the original Tibetan yeti tracks live, then you could layer some on after the fact (they are all pretty similar anyway).

That's my two cents.

Now it it was ME and I had some loose change, I'd go with the XA25. But that's just because I have had good luck with Canon equipment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast