Thread: cops effect

Default cops effect

Hi Guys.

Iíve been using the cops effect to blur out a logo on a T-shirt. I just mask it out and track the target with Key frames. Can anyone advise on the best way to stop the blur effect as target enters say a door and have the blurred circle disappear but return as the person exits again? In short be able to turn it on and off as seen on television. I donít really want to split the clip. Iíve been searching through posts but canít find any asking about this.
    Many thanks..

Using Sony Vegas Pro 12. 64Bit.

With key frames adjust the blur level to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    With key frames adjust the blur level to zero.
    Hi, thanks MR Blue. Not quite sure I understand? I went into the Video FX events box and set up mask with Key frames. Got to the point where I wanted the blur to stop. Then into blur settings and pulled sliders back to zero but nothing happened, blur was still on. Where am I going wrong? Many thanks. Paul.

I suppose it depends which blur effect you used. For example if you used the Gaussian Blur, there are two sliders push both of these to the left or zero the value and the blur should be gone.

If this is what you have done you are probably not setting the key frames right. Make sure you have a start point key frame then just one frame later an end point this will give you the result very quickly ie one fraame BUT if you then set a new blur level a few seconds later, it will start to blur from the point of the last key frame and build up over a few seconds.

Hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I suppose it depends which blur effect you used. For example if you used the Gaussian Blur, there are two sliders push both of these to the left or zero the value and the blur should be gone.

If this is what you have done you are probably not setting the key frames right. Make sure you have a start point key frame then just one frame later an end point this will give you the result very quickly ie one fraame BUT if you then set a new blur level a few seconds later, it will start to blur from the point of the last key frame and build up over a few seconds.

Hope that makes sense.
    Iím getting a little confused now. Thought I could simply enter a key frame then turn levels down to 0 then enter another and reactive, obviously Sony Vegas likes to make things harder for us.

I will persevere with this as our boss does not want the oppositionís logo visible at all.

Thanks Mr Blue.

It's not Sony making it hard. Ther is no other way it could be done without splitting the clip (which is another way to do it). You have to stop the software gradually increasing or gradually decreasing the blur by having the start stop keyframes close together.

May be splitting the event at the blur change would be easier for you. There is often more than one way to do things.

Blog Entries

Are you actually previewing the point on the timeline where you have set the keyframes?
    There is a "Sync cursor to media timeline" button at the bottom of the Video Event FX window (far left). If this is not selected, the preview window cursor position does not reflect the FX windows one.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Are you actually previewing the point on the timeline where you have set the keyframes?
    There is a "Sync cursor to media timeline" button at the bottom of the Video Event FX window (far left). If this is not selected, the preview window cursor position does not reflect the FX windows one.

Hi Tim.

Yes it is on. I've used the Iíve used this Cops effect quite a few times and always found it a tedious time consuming process. This latest clip I was given I was asked if I could switch off the effect so that it would not overlap on say a door frame or person one was walking by. as seen on TV.
    Only when I tried to do it I realised hey this is tricky! For me anyway..

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Ahhhh. Midnight's instruction will simply turn the blur on and off. You are suggesting now you want it to disapper behind a door (ie if th was a circular blur, it would become a semi-circle when the face is halfway through a door) , yes?
    If so yo'd need to do this with masking - if your camera was locked off on a tripod this will be fairly simple. If hand held, expect to spend some time on it as you'll have to mask each frame separately
    Tim

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Ahhhh. Midnight's instruction will simply turn the blur on and off. You are suggesting now you want it to disapper behind a door (ie if th was a circular blur, it would become a semi-circle when the face is halfway through a door) , yes? If so yo'd need to do this with masking - if your camera was locked off on a tripod this will be fairly simple. If hand held, expect to spend some time on it as you'll have to mask each frame separately
    lol.. "disapper behind a door". yes i have settled for Mr blues option of simply splitting the clip and doing it that way. Just being lazy I suppose looking for a quicker way than the way I do it. Many thanks to you both for your help. much apprecitated. Paul.