Thread: How do I achieve this effect?

Default How do I achieve this effect?

I am a total beginner, using Adobe Premier Elements. I am hoping to make a travel video of sorts. I would like a map of the world in the background. I have video clips of various people talking about different locations. I would like to have a clip play and take up most of the screen, then when the person is done talking, that video clip shrinks down until it turns into a dot of light that acts as a pinpoint on the map at location the person was talking about. The dot will then stay on the map and the next clip will play, repeated over and over again. After dozens of those clips, I will then have a map with a bunch of lit up dots on different countries, etc., which then grow larger and eventually turn the screen totally white.

I don't know if I'm describing that adequately, or if it is even possible to do with my limited skills. I am having trouble finding an example online of what I'm envisioning. Is something like this do-able with Premier Elements? If not, what program would I need to be able to create that effect? If I can create it, what search terms might I use to find tutorials for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Like I said, I currently know almost nothing about video editing.

Thank you in advance for any advice you might be able to give!

Not impossible, but it looks like and advanced task.... Maybe one simpler way is to split the screen in 2. On one side you run your interviews; on the other, the map that you will work with after effects to add a light everytime a new interview pops up. Needs some tought.... Maybe a more experienced editor may help you there.

Thank you Tony! Part of knowing what to do is knowing what I can't do! I like your idea of splitting the screen. Would I need to purchase the After Effects program to put the lights to the map on one side of the screen, or is that an effect I could accomplish with Premier Elements? Thank you so much for taking time to help a novice!

Perhaps to 'shrink' the video, Adobe Premiere Elements has an option to "transform". In the Adobe world that can refer to the Position, Scale, Rotation or Opacity of a video clip.
    If Elements allows it, then I would put my 'map' (probably as a still image) onto one video track. And I would put my 'talking person' clip on a layer above it. If I were to resize the 'talking person' layer, it would appear smaller - and appear to be on top of the map. In practice, I would use the Scale and Position, so that the final small 'talking person' clip is correctly positioned over the map.
    I would also check out how to use a 'mask' in Elements (and whether it can be done). As the 'talking person' clip gets smaller, it will retain it's rectangular shape. To turn this into a round blob may be possible using a 'mask'.

Be reminded of TonyBr's warning about this being an advanced task. It is one thing simply to make a video get smaller until it appears as a blob on a map. It may be more difficult to make the effect look pleasing to the eye.

Thanks for the practical advice! I think I'll give your instructions a try before resorting to the split screen approach. I would like to be able to achieve the effect this way if I can pull it off, but as you said, it is more important that the final product is enjoyable to watch. It is so nice to have an idea about what I'm looking at as far as difficulty level and what things I can try. Thank you for your help!

Let us know how you get on. I know we would like to see the results.

My suggested method has one big limitation. Elements has (I think) a limit of how may video tracks can be layered over each other. A separate solution is required to handle the 'map', which will become increasingly covered in blobs.

One solution, but which requires a little planning and time, would be to create lots of graphics of the map (e.g. many JPGs or PNG files). Each one showing any pretty looking blobs which might already be there, and a new pretty looking blob for each new graphic.
    Then, each time a new 'talking' clip is made smaller, it will can do it against a 'map' which already has all the previous blobs on it.

Sorry if this is not clear, but hopefully it may make sense.

That is a good and important piece of information to know, and I appreciate the suggestion for how to work around it. It looks like this project will take me quite awhile, and I'm obviously going to learn a lot in the process! Thank you!!

Yep, a limited number of tracks may be a problem if each new mark on the map is to stay. But you can make a new .jpg of the map with each new mark and then put them in sequence on just one track. For the marks, here is a simple idea: a) use a title event to introduce the mark; this will let you position the mark with precision on the map (full screen as you prefer); b) insert a "glow" transition in the beginning of each title event. Then put the window with the interview on top (position) of this mark, but the mark must follow right after the end of the interview (time). When the interview box shrinks, the glow transition will...well...glow....and then the mark (title) will show up (and stay) on the map. Errr.... I can see what I mean, but will you with this poor text???

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but that is probably because I'm such a novice. I imagine as I get further into this I'll be able to see exactly what you mean. I appreciate those specific instructions, and I'm going to give it a try. This seems like the perfect solution to getting the glowing dots on the map without too many tracks. Now if I can get the video clips to actually shrink down and look like nice little blobs, I'll be in business! I'm still trying to figure out how Adobe Premier works. As I get into it, I'll let you know how it goes. If you have any other brilliant ideas, I'd love to hear them! Thank you so much for taking your time to help someone as clueless as me!