Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capturing from a MiniDV Camera

Default Capturing from a MiniDV Camera

I purchase a Sony DCR-HC90E a few days ago - what can I say?! - this is the worst retail purchase I have ever made in my life! I am 51 years old - have been a keen photographer for 40 years - I have used PCs proficiently for 15 years - Sony clearly just want a joke at public expense -How do they get away with it??! The supplied software is utter crap. You want to burn to a DVD? Buy a Sony PC!! The effing arrogance of those Sony people!
    Does anyone know how to get the data off the camera onto/into anything other than a CD-R? I have used an evaluation copy of BLAZE Media Pro which can take the data to hard disk but the video image is either "sqeezed" in the horizontal or "stretched" in the vertical - whichever it's distorted.
    Also I have a Sony TV - (yes I must be a masochist because I've never been able to record to VCR in the 5 years that I've had the TV) - so no surprise that by following the instructions in the DCR-HC90E for connecting to the TV results in nothing whatsoever happening. Any clues as to what to actually do would be gratefully received.
    Do I sound pissed off? Not half!! In the last 24 hours I've discovered that the internet is overrun with "Hate Sony" sites, but no doubt the Sony PCs used by those faithful robot workers in Sonyland prevent any unwelcome exposure to reality!
    Simon

Welcome to the wondeful world of video editing Simon! You'll have many years of hair tearing ahead of you.

Your DCR-HC90E is a miniDV camera. So far, so good, but what does this mean to you? Well, it means getting the footage from your camera to your PC is simplicity itself: all you need is a firewire card and a firewire cable; chances are you have at least a firewire port on your PC.

Look for a connections like this:

If you don't have one of these slots, get a fire wire card

Next you need a firewire cable (your camcorder will have a 4 pin connector and your PC likely will have a six pin connector - so you'll need a 4-pin to 6-pin cable). The link provided above comes with a free cable. Wohoo!

So now that's the Camera connected to the PC. Soon you'll be experiencing lossless video on your PC ready to edit. To get the video on your PC (and to edit) you'll need some editing software. Again, the above card comes with a free version of Ulead's Video Studio. Not a bad option, but I suggest you download the trial version of Premiere Elements and get yourself a good guide from Amazon.

Premiere Elements will allow you to capture, edit, author and burn a DVD all in one application.

Default Thanks

This is brw459@yahoo.com (denodigital). You may have answered my question. I'm going to buy the card this evening.

Default SONY DCR-HC19

I have just purchased a SONY DCR-HC19 handycam (MiniDV), it came with a USB cable and some software. I installed the software and plugged the cable in to one of my USB ports, the picture streaming was fine but there was no sound at all.

I have a firewire port in my PC and Pinnacle Studio software on my PC, do you think if I get a firewire cable and connect the Camcorder in that way the sound will be transferred with the pictures.

I connected my analogue camera through the USB port using a Dazzle box and the sound and picture tranfereed fine into Pinnacle, so I don't think I have a sound card problem.

cheers

Ian

dang!! No wonder i could not connect it because i didnt have a Firewire Card

If you find a firwire cable with the sony av plug on it please let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Welcome to the wondeful world of video editing Simon! You'll have many years of hair tearing ahead of you.

Your DCR-HC90E is a miniDV camera. So far, so good, but what does this mean to you? Well, it means getting the footage from your camera to your PC is simplicity itself: all you need is a firewire card and a firewire cable; chances are you have at least a firewire port on your PC.

Look for a connections like this:

If you don't have one of these slots, get a fire wire card

Next you need a firewire cable (your camcorder will have a 4 pin connector and your PC likely will have a six pin connector - so you'll need a 4-pin to 6-pin cable). The link provided above comes with a free cable. Wohoo!

So now that's the Camera connected to the PC. Soon you'll be experiencing lossless video on your PC ready to edit. To get the video on your PC (and to edit) you'll need some editing software. Again, the above card comes with a free version of Ulead's Video Studio. Not a bad option, but I suggest you download the trial version of Premiere Elements and get yourself a good guide from Amazon.

Premiere Elements will allow you to capture, edit, author and burn a DVD all in one application.
    Can't u juse use the USB port to get footage onto the computer from the DV? That's how I do it. I plug my cacmorder into the computer via a USB port, and the "INTERNAL F:" and "Removable Disk G:" drives appear. And since my DV uses a 4GB SD card, I find my footages in the Removable Disk: G drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo Fan Mike View Post
    Can't u juse use the USB port to get footage onto the computer from the DV? That's how I do it. I plug my cacmorder into the computer via a USB port, and the "INTERNAL F:" and "Removable Disk G:" drives appear. And since my DV uses a 4GB SD card, I find my footages in the Removable Disk: G drive.
    This thread is about capturing from a MiniDV camcorder. Firewire is the ONLY way to get good results from that type of camera. You can sometimes transfer via a USB lead from MiniDV camcorders but the aulity is poor and it is just considered WRONG. Plain and simple.

For you, who has, a camcorder with a 4Gb Sd card then a transfer from the card as an removable drive is your only bet. However, be advised that the format of your video is not really designed to be editted cleanly as it is already in a compressed format. miniDV tape captures are uncompressed and edit very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    This thread is about capturing from a MiniDV camcorder. Firewire is the ONLY way to get good results from that type of camera. You can sometimes transfer via a USB lead from MiniDV camcorders but the aulity is poor and it is just considered WRONG. Plain and simple.

For you, who has, a camcorder with a 4Gb Sd card then a transfer from the card as an removable drive is your only bet. However, be advised that the format of your video is not really designed to be editted cleanly as it is already in a compressed format. miniDV tape captures are uncompressed and edit very well.
    But I saw a video that was edited on YouTube even tho it was in the .mov/.mp4 file. U can't edit those, so I'm stumped as to how he did. He was using the same exact camcorder and file type as me, but he was able to edit his .mov, and I can't. Wat's up with that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast