Thread: first video for a shop...

Default first video for a shop...

Hi everyone.
    I am very interested in video so i have done some personal videos. This one is the first i did for a shop.
    Please let me know how i can improve and make things better.
    I am learning so please be nice

Blog Entries

It's really just a collection of images of the shop contents and some titles listing the sorts of things that are available.
    There is nothing that says "Come and visit this shop" or why you should buy from this shop rather than another.
    The music very quickly irritates.
    I think it desperately needs the owner (or someone else) at least in an excited voice over, better still on screen, getting excited about the furniture and tempting us to look at what's on offer.
    If you don't have a presenter on screen (or even if you do) get some people looking around, testing the furniture, picking up and looking at objects. Get some life into it.
    This is a video so make use of moving images (not just panning around an empty shop)
    Finally, the first three shots are just of the shop name - I know it's important to get that across, but the first few seconds are what you have to make an impact and get people to watch the rest, so make these your best shots (with a promise of more to come).

It's very easy for me to say all that. Much less easy to do. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your next video.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    It's really just a collection of images of the shop contents and some titles listing the sorts of things that are available.
    There is nothing that says "Come and visit this shop" or why you should buy from this shop rather than another.
    The music very quickly irritates.
    I think it desperately needs the owner (or someone else) at least in an excited voice over, better still on screen, getting excited about the furniture and tempting us to look at what's on offer.
    If you don't have a presenter on screen (or even if you do) get some people looking around, testing the furniture, picking up and looking at objects. Get some life into it.
    This is a video so make use of moving images (not just panning around an empty shop)
    Finally, the first three shots are just of the shop name - I know it's important to get that across, but the first few seconds are what you have to make an impact and get people to watch the rest, so make these your best shots (with a promise of more to come).

It's very easy for me to say all that. Much less easy to do. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your next video.
    Thanks tim,

I totaly understand were you are coming from.
    the music and lack of people or voice over was not my choice. But honestly i never though of having people interact with the products...

Thanks a lot for being honest as it helps me to improve really.
    I used images as i filmed with a DSLR.
    The tripod i used was not very good when panning as it was jerky.
    And zooming on an SLR is very jerky as well.

Any ideas what i could do to improve zooming on an slr and a tripod that i could buy on a budget that would be decent with panning shots.

Thanks a lot for your help

Agree with Tim
    Could have done with
    People picking things up, being served, chatting and smiling with owner. Hands lifting objects, people walking through the store in general.
    Focus pulls from various objects, even better a few pulls from people to object - don't need to pan for those
    A friendly voice over instead of titles would have helped. The titles that are there instead could have had some slow movement to them to bring them alive a bit, they felt really flat and made it more of a photo slideshow. Titles have just as much impact as the video content so try and make sure they're equally as memorable.

But honestly i never though of having people interact with the products...
    The next time you see an advert on TV you will notice there is always human interaction with products.

Zooming in or out isn't usually a good idea for a shoot like this. For movement use a slider/steady cam not panning.

Isn't the problem that OP was inexperienced and accepted the Owner's direction? While it may satisfy the owner's ego, very soon they will realise it doesn't increase shop foot-fall (presuming this was the objective).

Previous posts about Interaction, excitement by shoppers, and that dreadful music . . . agreed.
    -but it was well shot, nicely lit and so on. And there weren't any "arty" visual effect on the bits I watched . . . .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Isn't the problem that OP was inexperienced and accepted the Owner's direction?
    We don't know about the second of these statements, but we do know he's inexperienced, which is why he came here for help and advice.

That's not a problem, that's part of the solution
    Tim

Some nice shots there. Excessive use of zooming, but the subject is not easy to work with... People around would give the extra movement you need, so you could quit 90% of the zooming. The piece could last 1/2 with a more exciting editing?

where is this to be shown? its far to long as it stands. as others have said it needs at the very least a well recorded voice over to keep the viewers interest. i lost interest after 30 seconds.. then again that could be different if i was looking to buy some interior furnishings.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

thx a lot for all you advise! I have a lot to learn when it comes to video...
    and this is a great place to get very good advice. It is not always easy pleasing a client. my personal videos are different