Thread: Video Editing Skills - Feedback Required

Default Video Editing Skills - Feedback Required

Hi Guys.!

Just got into photography/videography and done my second contracted work. What you guys think ?

Im open to all feedback.

This was done in Imovie.

DRUMOLOGY - Sarangi & Dhol [Promo] - YouTube

Appreciate the support and help guys!

Blog Entries

The straight cuts and dissolves are much better than all the fades through black in your previous vid. you did well to heed Midnight's advice.

This one doesn't feel like it has such a good selection of shots. They were less varied in colour and composition.

We see the group of people in several locations and flit back and forth between them. This can work, but it didn't feel right here for me as we se the band constantly moving forward. We see them marching forward in location A, then jump to location B where they're still marching forward - this is OK, it's a sort of convention that people have come to accept in music/promo type work. But then you cut to marching forward in location A again and this jus "feels" wrong - it's like a step backwards.
    Watch out for keeping the camera level.There's a whole selection of shots from 0:33 onwards where the camera is leaning to the right - check the vertical lines (eg sides of buildings)

Finally, the music didn't feel lively enough for a crowd of people following a marching band. (The music in your previoous video better matched the scenes)

But I don't mean to be all negative, there is plenty you can improve on.
    Get more of the shots like at 0:40 with the crowd all dancing (but level the camera and make the people fill the frame, not the two parked cars)
    You got some close ups - but how about the kid on the shoulders - always looks like fun.
    And get the band to cheer up (they may be concentrating, but they look miserable which hardly sells them)
    Tim

Hello Everyone,

Two really good friends of mine asked me to be their wedding videographer. TO practice, I recently created their engagement video if you guys could do me a big favor and watch the video and tell me what you guys think it would be much appreciated.

I used a Canon GL2 for this video. The link is below.

Love On the Run - YouTube

I liked this one better than your first video so thats a big plus. I think you shot some more interested angles this time. Listen to Tims advice he is spot on about the ABA location cutting.

The one big thing is the lack of live sound. If you are promoting a band we should really get a chance to hear them. I know recording audio of this kind of thing can be difficult but really should be part of the video.

Great to see you are moving forward, keep at it.

Not seen earlier stuff.... But, am I detecting some speech-clipping of the Audio?

You're right . . . I was trying to post in the item on Engagement, something went wrong and I msut have moved to a previous viewing.....
    This post can be deleted, thanks.
    BTW I was a little confused [This Thread Post], by the drummers moving about and half wern't playing drums, either.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 06-15-2013 at 02:48 PM.

speech-clipping ? Did you watch the same video as the rest of us ?

Thank you so much for your feedback! I will definitely put this into consideration for the next video which is happening in July. In terms of music, would you have suggested an alternative?

I have forwarded your comments regarding the band to 'cheer up' :p

Thank you once again. Your feedback means a lot

I took your feedback on board from the previous video. Thank you once again for taking out your time and getting in touch. Would you have suggested an alternative music for this video?

In terms of live sound, I will be releasing another full length which contains the sound .

I am also after a quick release mount for a third party tripod, is there anything like this I can get a hold of in the current market? Just saves me time from unscrewing and screwing everything I use the tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I liked this one better than your first video so thats a big plus. I think you shot some more interested angles this time. Listen to Tims advice he is spot on about the ABA location cutting.

The one big thing is the lack of live sound. If you are promoting a band we should really get a chance to hear them. I know recording audio of this kind of thing can be difficult but really should be part of the video.

Great to see you are moving forward, keep at it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parm View Post
    I am also after a quick release mount for a third party tripod, is there anything like this I can get a hold of in the current market? Just saves me time from unscrewing and screwing everything I use the tripod
    Am I mistaken or are you using a tripod without a head?

Normally you would buy a tripod with a head (or legs and head separately). The head (which should be a "fluid head" for video to enable smooth panning and tilting, which heads for still's photography do not) would normally include the quick release plate.
    Tim