Thread: KiteART

1. Default KiteART

I was really enjoying the video up until you put in that effect at 1:06. The horizon between 1:50 -2:00 needs correcting. The time laps would have looked better if you framed it using the rule of thirds.

Apart from those three little points I thought this was a great piece. Excellent choice of music as well.

3. Default

Aha ok thanks for the coment

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigmanjoe View Post
    I thought it was a little too long though. I lost interest after 1:50.
    I've said this before many times. On reflection, does it really matter?

My viewing habit goes something along the lines of:

- browse through recommendations
    - make a judgement on whether to watch based on the thumbnail (80%), category (15%) and title (5%)
    - decide whether to watch more after first 10 seconds
    - like or favourite within first 30 seconds
    - find out what the music is (if I've watched more than 30 seconds)
    - move on to the next video as I get bored

So, it doesn't really matter how long it is, provided the first 10 seconds are worth watching. If people want to watch to the end, then great. If not, they would most likely already liked or followed without needing to get to the end.

So I'm not sure there is really an ideal length, provided you don't back load your best content.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I've said this before many times. On reflection, does it really matter?
    So, it doesn't really matter how long it is, provided the first 10 seconds are worth watching. If people want to watch to the end, then great. If not, they would most likely already liked or followed without needing to get to the end.
    I can't believe this comment from you Marc, unless I've unmisunderstood.
    If you are after likes and followers, then fair enough - your comment makes sense.

But don't you make films like I do - with the intention of holding the viewers' attention to the end? The idea of telling a story through to completion?

Otherwise why bother maimng anything that lasts more than 30 secs?

I'd never "like" a video without having watched all of it. I'd never "follow" someone unless I'd seen at least three videos by them to completion.

Similarly I'd feel insulted if someone "liked" a video of mine when they hadn't bothered to watch it all.

Call me "old school" if you like, but I cannot see how anyone can "like" something if they don't know how it ends.
    Tim

Blog Entries

As for the film - ditto Midnight although I quite liked the composition of the time lapse piece.
    Far too many effects for me, although you are becoming very proficient with them. This is all good practice.
    Some great shots agan.
    I found much of the earlier slow mo a little jerky.
    Nice job, all the same.
    Tim

As I liked Marcs post, I might aswell explain how I understood it. I didn't really take it as a guideline of "by these seconds you should have displayed x amount of hooks for a successfull video and receive likes". Instead I took it as fine point that videos lenght is irrelevant once the viewer has decided to sit through it. Be it only 30 more seconds or 15 minutes. In your case, Tim, I believe you usually sit through any video you start, but what Marc wrote up actually could be quite accurate description of behavior seen in average Youtube/Vimeo/etc viewer. Internet browsing in general has moved more towards that; less reading/viewing/time spend on a page and more clicking towards the next "interesting" thing. Many things Marc said are true on my case too; I often see interesting thumbnail/title in random recommendations that Youtube spits towards me propelled by unkown algorithm. At times they're good, but at times even after first 10-15 seconds I know I dont like what I see, and click away. On other cases the said first 15 seconds could be so impressive that I click "like" right away before forgetting it and then continue watching. Liking something in middle of it does not mean I stopped there "all done, I had my daily 15 seconds of entertainment".

So, many things Marc said I agree with. But it's always a question of to whom the video is for. If it's strictly Youtube-oriented in sense of hits, likes and subscribers, 10 second rule wouldn't hurt. The thing is I don't think most people here are after that, but the pleasures of craft itself.

Windcharger, I found the video overall enjoyable. The lens flare transitions in the beginning looked surprisingly natural, coupled with camera movement some could have looked like sun covered the camera for a moment. Midnight Blue and Tim covered the rest pretty well, I was going to mention the slight jerkiness of the slow motion, but no need to start a third discussion on that matter.

Blog Entries

Thanks, SSC, for the insight into Marc's comments (assuming you're right). It makes some sense. It may surprise you to learn that I am equally guilty of scanning and clicking onto the next "interesting" thing. Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by SSCinema View Post
    In your case, Tim, I believe you usually sit through any video you start,
    is certainly not true. What IS true is I will not give something a like until I know I am going to sit through it (usually once I have sat though it). I will frequently decide i don't like something within a few seconds and usually click away (the execptions are (a) someone has asked for comments/help and I feel inclined to offer suggestions and (b) I'm interested in working out why I don't like it)

I suppose it was Marcs comment
    - like or favourite within first 30 seconds
    - move on to the next video as I get bored
    that really surprises me. If you like something but get bored, the "like" strikes me as rather insincere (which doesn't really matter I suppose for most YouTube posters as they are more concerned with the quantity rather than the sincerity.)

I accept, however, there is always the "I like this but I don't have the time to give it my full attention so I'll come back to it later" (which rarely happens as there's always something else to watch.
    Tim