Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Tit

Default Blue Tit

As we've just had our week of summer last week (in the UK) I spent a considerable amount of time in my garden following a pair of Blue tits. The conclusion I found was that it is very boring being a nature film maker which just gives me more admiration to those who do this kind of work.

Last edited by Midnight Blue; 06-11-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks for viewing Joe.

Doing this little project certainly showed me how dedicated people like the BBC natural history unit are.

The effect on the viewer is the apparent simplicity of making 1 min clip of birds in the garden. Because the viewer does not see the hours elapsed, it is easy to think "he was lucky having a camera just as the bird flew into position".
    May I suppose that multiple cameras were running; each pointing at some favorite places (probably where you have put down food)?

I did think about using multiple cameras but decided on just using the one at a time method for this. It some how made it more authentic for me. What ever that really means.

5. Default

We thought the music was perfect, & it added so much to the little film. At 1.11mins long it was delightful. We didnt like the slowed down bits they didnt seem right?
    All it needed was Johnny Morris (remember him?)
    We'd have done it with puppets!

It's interesting you thought the slowed down clips didn't seem right. My thinking was that these little birds are so fast moving that it might help to see there movement a bit better. The Close up shot of the feeder, which was slowed down 50%, was shot with a GoPro and is badly framed which also makes that shot not look right.

Thanks for viewing ladies.

Blog Entries

Very nice.
    Personally i thought cutting back to the close-up of the bird on the feeder didn't work. it felt like you were re-using footage. Up to there it's a constant development in the narrative.

Mid shot of bird on feeder
    CU of same
    Mid shot of same
    Bird on branch
    Wide shot of Bbird in Water feature
    Mid shot of bird in water feature
    Mid shot of TWO birds on feeder
    Great! then ...
    Cut to simgle bird on feeder? Nah. Doesn't work for me.

Perhaps cuut to a closing credit then add the final bird on feeder as a sort of post script, if you want to get it in.

The titling idea was clever but distracted me from watching the bird, I'd go for something more "obvious" and expected so the viewer doesn't even think about it.
    Tim

Your right Tim. I didn't sit right with me. My thinking was the bird flying away was a natural conclusion but I should have gotten something different. I had difficulty with the titles as the background is so busy so I couldn't put it where I naturally wanted it to go. I tried all sorts of colours, type faces, even backgrounds but nothing looked right. I think I'll have to re-think the clip order or slip a title on a separate title page.

Thanks for viewing and the comments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    My thinking was the bird flying away was a natural conclusion but I should have gotten something different.
    Ahhh - I see the logic (don't know how I missed it) But you've changed the video now so my comments don't make sense to anyone coming new to this thread .... (but I do think it now ends better, in fact it's amazing how much more appealing I find it - much more so than I would have imagined)

However, I can't believe you spent all that time waiting to get the birds in shot, but onluy had one of them flying out of shot!
    Tim

I got plenty of shots of them flying away but nothing that was any good as they are so fast and always went sideways as apposed to that one shot where he flew away from the camera.

Thanks for giving it a second look, I'm glad you like it more now.

It usually takes a few views to really see the time, thought, craft and artistry in my films. (If you believe that then I've got a sea front property in Switzerland I like to sell you).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast