Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Featurette on my new Movie

1. Default Featurette on my new Movie

Here is a making-of documentary on my new film that I put together.

I would have put 3.25-4.10 at the beginning, I spent first 3 minutes not knowing what the film was about, or if this was about a film at all, which was distracting. Instead you introduced yourself, so it seemed like a documentary about you, not a film.

The ending was a bit disturbing, as I had no clue what was said, and it left me feeling down at the end, a more positive ending would be nicer? You had just stated what a fun movie it was, with happy interviews, then you brought the mood into serious drama.

The production was fine, just a bit disordered for me.

Hope this helps.

3. Default

The ending is cute, not disturbing because it is a genuine moment of the little boy crying because filming just wrapped and he is saying how much he is going to miss everyone. He names the cast and directors and producers.

Blog Entries

Nah, the ending is not cute. It's upsetting. A shot of a child crying is always going to be emotionally unpleasant and I agree with Stripe, it left me feeling down.

I don't mean to be harsh but you must agree that this is a self-promo about yourself, not really about the film. As your "advert" it works very well and sells you as an actor but as a promo for the movie it didn't make me think "that's a film I want to see".

So, it depends how you're selling this. As a "making of" a film it didn't work all that well. I learnt hardly anything about the "making of". As a self-promo it's okay, a bit long and self-congratulatory imho but okay.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 06-09-2013 at 09:55 AM.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    Nah, the ending is not cute. It's upsetting. A shot of a child crying is always going to be emotionally unpleasant and I agree with Stripe, it left me feeling down.
    He is crying for a positive reason, because he had so much fun making the movie and likes everyone so much. It is different if you understand what he is saying. When the film's director saw my video, the first think he mentioned was how cute the kid was at the end.

Also, the video is to promote me, not just the movie. Notice the title of the video is actually Travis' Movie-Making Experience. Part of my reason for doing the movie is to promote myself so it leads on to more gigs. The video does promote both. I am sure if the is a feauturette on a Keanu Reeves movie, most of it will be talking about Keanu.
    You also have to keep in mind there is a lot more footage of me being interviewed because I only have a limited time with the cast. The interview with the leading lady almost didn't happen because she put it off for a couple days and usually wasn't in the mood. She wouldn't have made it in the video at all if that happened other than as b-roll footage. When we did get the interview it was right after her last scene, the last night of shooting and she said, "OK, but make it real quick." So my point is I have a lot more interview footage of me than the others so that is one major reason I am in it more. The other is that I produced it and it is to promote myself.
    Last edited by Poolboy; 06-09-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poolboy View Post
    He is crying for a positive reason, because he had so much fun making the movie and likes everyone so much. It is different if you understand what he is saying. When the film's director saw my video, the first think he mentioned was how cute the kid was at the end.
    Why do you ask for criticism then dismiss it?
    If the only two people to comment make the same comment about the child crying being disturbing and upsetting you should at least consider their response.

Let's look at your argument about it being uplifitng. It presupposes knowledge that the child is crying with happiness. You know this. Your director knows this. We, comning to this cold, do not know this. If you want to make a trailer only for people involved in the production this is probably fine, but I suspect you want a wider audience.

If you want to end with the chidl crying with happiness, then your trailer needs to make the reasons much more clear.
    Tim

7. Default

Just because there is criticism doesn't mean I have to agree with it. People can have their own opinion, and I can have mine. It is all fine.

The reason it is not so clear is because I didn't subtitle what he said. If you understand the language, you understand it. I am not trying to argue, just explain that because now I realize how the kid crying can be misunderstood by people that don't speak the language. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolboy View Post
    When the film's director saw my video, the first think he mentioned was how cute the kid was at the end.
    Such feedback would, to me, indicate something was wrong. It is like someone saying 'I loved the ending credits'.

9. Default

I don't understand why that would indicate that something is wrong.

10. Default

This shows how important it is when you post a video to include some notes & information with it & I think it's a courtesy aswell to those who will spend time watching & critiqueing it.
    If I see a video just dumped here with no info I tend to think its just here for YouTube hits & the person isn't really wanting a critique or can't be bothered... which doesn't make me want to watch it!

I really don't know much about filming but the sound levels were all over the place which didnt seem good. But I suppose it's difficult combining footage from the film with what you've shot yourself & the sound levels not matching....some bits I couldn't hear what was being said & othere bits were perfectly clear.

Sarah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast