Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software to edit DVD made by standalone DVD Recorder

Default Software to edit DVD made by standalone DVD Recorder

Hello

I am new at video editing so please excuse any basic questions.

Setup:

PIII [1000]
    512 RAM
    Windows XP Pro

HD's defragged prior to capture/edit. Also I shut down unnecessary applications like anti-virus, anti-spyware etc

Objective:

To transfer many VHS tapes [and some Hi-8 ones as well] to DVD after some judicious editing, re-arranging etc.

What I've Tried:

I started off with a Leadtek Winfast TV 2000 XP. That was disastrous at capturing video. I installed it also on my son's Athlon 2600 and gave it a try but it was little better. Capture quality was about 30% of original.

My brother recently bought a standalone DVD Recorder [Pioneer with no HD] and offered to burn my tapes to disk for me. Excellent quality playback on DVD but now I have difficulty editing them.

Programmes Tried:

Ulead MovieMaker 3 SE
    Ulead VideoStudio 8 SE [with AC-3 plugin]

UMM3 didn't get past 1st base. It announced that the source VideoTS files had Dolby Digital and UMM3 doesn't support it. A look at the Ulead site suggests I can't get a plugin to assist.

UVS8 performed better. I played around, cut out some bits added some transitions etc and burned a DVD. Played it back. Video is excellent but audio synch starts out OK but drops off dramatically so that after 10 minutes or so it is seconds out. I don't see any audio synch support in the programme options. A look at the Ulead forums suggests I'm not the only one to have struck such problems. Their suggestion is to, essentially fork out and buy UVS9 because it is "much better". Hmmm. If Ulead haven't fixed it by version 8 I am naturally sceptical.
    .................................................. ..................................................

Anyway, I am sure there are many knowledgeable people who can guide a relative novice like me in the right direction. I have read on other forums of lesser known apps like VideoRedo, TMPGEnc Plus, Womble etc and I have heard good things about Premiere Elements. But I thought I should ask for guidance here - it may be my hardware isn't up to speed.

All responses and suggestions gratefully accepted. I should say I am less concerned at creating "Effects"; more so, editing, re-arranging scenes, joining scenes, adding Title pages but most of all - keeping the audio in synch.

many thanks

Blog Entries

VideoRedo won't really cut the mustard for video editing per se. Womble MPEG video wizard (http://www.videoforums.co.uk/guide-edit-vob-mpeg-48.htm) is a decent application.

An alternative is to take the VOB files and convert to DV AVI for editing with PRemiere Elements: http://www.videoforums.co.uk/guide-faq-90.htm#9

Thanks for taking the time to reply Marc. Can I please ask a few questions:

. if I take the converting to AVI route, then editing and re-encoding with Elements or a Ulead product, is there a loss of quality from the original source?

. are the problems I experienced with VideoStudio 8 common ie audio synch, or is it a function of my hardware?

. is Premiere Elements better than the Ulead products in the sense of giving more reliable output? Can PE edit mpeg or must I convert it first? I'm contemplating downloading a trial but don't want to download hundreds of Megabites for no reason. I have to say I use P'shop Elements which, apart from being very resource hungry, works extremely well.

Thanks again

Blog Entries

. if I take the converting to AVI route, then editing and re-encoding with Elements or a Ulead product, is there a loss of quality from the original source?
    By definition there will be a loss. However, there this will be approximately equivalent to the loss you would have recieved by just editing the MPEG. MPEG is quite a lossy codec, whereas DV AVI isn't so conpressed and won't discard information between frames.

. are the problems I experienced with VideoStudio 8 common ie audio synch, or is it a function of my hardware?
    They are syptomatic of editing in MPEG in software that doesn't natively support it.

Can PE edit mpeg or must I convert it first?
    It does not handle MPEG well.

I'm contemplating downloading a trial but don't want to download hundreds of Megabites for no reason.
    Download the trial. It's worth it.

Thanks Marc.

I'll have a go at both the MPEG Video Editor and VirtualDubMod options.

Much appreciate your help.

John

Marc

I downloaded and played around with Womble MPEG Video Editor on the weekend. Very impressive programme, though you may be able assist with one issue.
    I'm primarily looking at moving a dozen or so home movies to DVD via a standalone DVD Recorder. This involves a fair amount of cutting and pasting in the editing stage.
    Here's what I did. Burned a tape to disc. Ripped it to the HD using DVD Decryptor. VOB files are about 1Gb in capacity - about 20 minutes or so in length. I may want to make anywhere from 2 to 10 splits, cuts etc in each of these VOB segments. I did so, working on editing 1 x VOB file as a test, following the instructions closely, inserted a couple of transitions, then rendered it using the automatic template to minimise further encoding. I then used Ulead Movie Maker to put in a menu and burn it to DVD.
    Result - the video image is flawless, the transitions are entirely seamless [and quite professional looking] BUT by the time I get to about the 3rd or 4th clip, audio/synch is out noticeably. Womble has an audio shift function which requires a bit of playing around with and some guesswork but works reasonably well. Some Googling of other forums revealed that you should undertake audio shift on each clip BEFORE joining them all together or adding transitions.
    My question is this - are audio sync problems inevitable using Womble on a project like mine or am I doing something wrong? I have read whatever WMVE guides I can find and can't see any obvious errors I am making. It's just that I rarely read about mention of sync problems with the programme on the forums I visited so wondered if I was doing something wrong. It's just that with the number of tapes I want to convert I will end up spending far far more time trying to fix audio sync problems than the rest of the process which is fairly straightforward.
    Your assistance is appreciated again.

Blog Entries

The first step is to ascertain where the audio and video go out of synch. If you play the MPEGs edited from Womble, are they out of synch at this stage? My guess is that it's Ulead Movie Maker that's the cause.

Good call Marc.

I just burned a copy of the mpg project using Nero Express as a data file. It plays perfectly on the DVD/TV. No apparent audio sync problem.

What software do you suggest [preferably free] I might use to convert the mpg to VOB and then burn to DVD disk?

I might have to consign my Ulead Movie Maker and Video Studio 8 to the dustbin I'm afraid.

Thanks again.

Marc

Also...............following on from my last post.

Excuse another very basic question. To get my VOB files from the DVD burned by the standalone Recorder I went through the DVD Decrypter process. Can you instead just drag and drop VOB files on to the HD to edit them?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    Marc

Also...............following on from my last post.

Excuse another very basic question. To get my VOB files from the DVD burned by the standalone Recorder I went through the DVD Decrypter process. Can you instead just drag and drop VOB files on to the HD to edit them?

Thanks
    Yes. It is unlikely they are encrypted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast