Thread: analogue to digital

Default analogue to digital

sorry if this is not allowed on your forum but I am very new to this
    I have just bought a canon 830i digital camcorder and also own an analogue samsung camcorder, the canons instructions say I can connect the two camcorders together and transfer all my HI 8 tapes to mini DV tapes, and it says I can also connect the two together and transfer my old tapes to my PC using my new canon as a digital conversion tool. the trouble is the instruction manual is unclear and I do not know what cables to use or how to set the cams up ( my old samsung only has an AV socket)

jessops sold me two double male inline connectors and told me to connect my old and new cams together using the AV sockets ie yellow to yellow and red to red, this did not work.

So can anyone please help me with this.
    Thanks in advance Steve.

I don't have a Canon 830i, but I suspect that the method of recording will be the same as other Canon camcorders.

First of all you will need the appropriate cables. The first thing to note is that the 830i uses a mini jack AV connector. I suspect (but don't know for sure) that the Samsung uses standard AV connectors (Yellow, White & red). In this this case you will need a standard AV to AV-mini jack cable.

Connect the standard AV cable (red, White & yellow) to the coressponding connectors on your Samsung. Connect the mini jack to the Canon.

Set the Canon to PLAY mode and press Record Pause.

Press Play on the Samsung.

Press Play on the Canon

Enjoy

PS If the Samsung is a mono camera then it will only have a Red or White Cable in addition to the Ye;;ow one.
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

I have copied most of my HI 8 tapes from a canon uc9hi to a canon mv530i.
    The manual is a bit confusing, you connect the camcorders together using the lead supplied with the 830i which should be a mini jack to av cable.
    set the 830i to player, then set it to record pause using the remote control.
    start your high 8 camera and you should see the picture the on the lcd screen on the 830i.To record you press the start button on the camera (not the remote) and it should record.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon benett
    I have copied most of my HI 8 tapes from a canon uc9hi to a canon mv530i.
    The manual is a bit confusing, you connect the camcorders together using the lead supplied with the 830i which should be a mini jack to av cable.
    set the 830i to player, then set it to record pause using the remote control.
    start your high 8 camera and you should see the picture the on the lcd screen on the 830i.To record you press the start button on the camera (not the remote) and it should record.
    I must be doing something wrong but dont know what....

Both the old cam and new cam have mini jack connections so I have tried what jessops advised and used two inline conectors to join both yellows and both whites together and then tried the advice given here but to no avail ...I still cannot record from Hi 8 to DV....or record from Hi 8 to PC using the new canon as a converter..proberbly doing something totally stupid..please advise if I need to buy a new cable or any other help would be very welcome...

Many thanks Steve

steveyermate, Is your 830i going into record pause mode ? On my camera the tape/card selector switch should be set to tape position turn the camera main switch from off, to play/vcr position. The lcd screen should say STOP in the top right hand corner, press record pause button on the remote control, the tape motor starts and the screen goes dark and PAUSE is displayed in the top right hand corner.Press play on your Hi8 camera and you should see the tape playing on the lcd screen, press play on the camera body on the 830 and PAUSE should change to REC on the lcd and the camera will start recording.

A couple of points to note: if you have got the camera to go into record pause you have to use the start button on the camera, not the remote to start recording.

If you press play on the camera and then press the record pause button on the remote it will have no effect, the tape must be in stop mode before it willl go into record pause.

If it is in record pause pressing the start stop button on the remote has no effect, you must use the button on the camera,

I assume that you are only connecting camera to camera
    and not camera to camera to PC.

I have found that if you try to connect to a pc while recording from a camera it will not allow you to do it.

Also I have not figured out how to use the camera as an a to d converter yet , it seems to work ok until you press the capture button on th pc , then the camera stops playing (but that may be the sofware I am using Windows movie maker).
    Hope this helps.