Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doppelgänger | Scifi Short Film

Default Doppelgänger | Scifi Short Film

Hello again.

Something bit different this time (or so I'm told). A short film about shapeshifting being that makes its first contact with humankind in a confusing time. Here it is;

Doppelgänger | Scifi Short Film (2013) - YouTube

This was supposed to be intermediate of my easier-to-do traditional shorts and the heavily VFX oriented ones I did earlier this year. No background replacements, challenging sets or anything like that, but shots involving the shapeshifter were laborious to do... Way too much frame-by-frame masking. I hope the end result is convincing enough, as much time was put into the masking. The filming itself had some unexpected challenges too. The day we shot everything was almost too damn bright! My camera might be showing its age, but we had some difficulties with white balance. You can still see it in few shots.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts here. At the start I had feeling that this was going to be a good one, but while editing my mood shifted to bit more pessimistic thinking and it has been going back and forth ever since. It was basicly the same thing when I was editing Conquest of Europa; I've seen every frame of it too many times to tell if it's good or not. My camera operator (Uine, occasional visitor to this forum) did seem to like it, but her involvement in the project takes away some credit from the impartiality of her opinion.

Shot with Samsung HMX-H200, edited with Adobe After Effects/Premiere CS6.

Thanks for watching, let me know what you think. At the very least we had fun filming it.

Blog Entries

I liked the plot and the effects seemed fine - I certainly wasn't distracted by them. I liked the editing and the choices of music.

My biggest problem with it was because i knew it was about a shape-shifter/doppleganger, I was confused as all the soldiers were so obviously played by the same person. This made me think they were all clones which sent me off on the wrong direction. The only way to overcome this issue is to involve more people, I'm afraid.
    Tim

You bring a valid point with the cloning. I was actually going to ask your opinion on the matter of my cloning becoming too excessive. Of course, regulars here know how often I utilize the said effect, so I guess you knew right away. But is it that obvious to someone who doesn't know in advance of my habits? I remember showing scenes like Reign Over Regime to my friends back in the day, and those not involved in making of that scene didn't realize I had played all the parts. That scene actually shows much more of my face to make me even more recognizeable, whereas in Doppelgänger I tried to cover everything but eyes.

I'm glad you liked the video, Tim.

I agree with Tim about the about the movie, I can't fault the technical side of it. On the story side I didn't get why the doppelgänger stayed blue after he had transformed. The way my mind works is that if it can take on complex shapes it should be able to match the colouring. It's not a great point but did distract me from the action.

As we going to see a film from you with dialogue at some point. That is what is missing in this film. I know that adds another complexity to an already complex little video but would lift it in my opinion.

5. Default

The funniest shot was the shapeshifter pulling his tummy in so fanatically as he approached the young soldier!
    We found a lot of humour in the whole film really.... hope it was intentional!
    We don't know much about the army but it seemed strange when the soldier pulled out his mobile to call for reinforcements? ....& we thought soldiers had rifles not pistols?
    Anyway the fact you so obviously played most of the parts added to its quirky low budget appeal & it was entertaining...it trod a strange ground between sci fi horror & funny.....which way did you envisage it?

Midnight Blue, it might be bit illogical that the creature failed to copy the skin color, but it was intentional. It made it seem more alien and visually bit more interesting. Not to mention that it could have been bit confusing if they had been completely identical, especially if Tim is right about cloning being bit too obvious as it is. In my head I explained it with something along the lines of "err... well, the being has very different vision than average human being, I guess it didn't realize it would matter or just can't seperate human skin tone from his own blue. Who is he to know what is defining feature of human body in their own eyes?"

Sarah & Allison, the humor was intentional. The shapeshifter character is not meant to be really dark or serious, rather comedic and especially misunderstood being. The poor fellow just attempted to imitate everything he saw, even down to lighting a match and exhaling smoke without knowing why. I'd say you're right about putting it somewhere between horror and fun with scifi elements. I was not really sure if I should label it "science fiction" at all, but hey, blue skinned alien(?) shifting shapes at will seems scifi enough.

I served in the army back in the day and your questions on the matter really depend on few things. Yes, basic infantryman is usually armed with rifle, but pistols are used as well as sidearms and for special purposes such as military polices. If people serve with pistols, they have to train with them too. This was meant to portray just another pistol training. The mobile/communicator was just one way to contact whoever is in charge. The routine you want to distill in soldies heads when it comes to problems or accidents in weapons training is to stop what you're doing and contact the one supervising the firing. I'd guess the man decided to do the first thing he could think of; call the officer/NCO in charge of situation and explain that something just went very, very strangely wrong.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll take the quirky low budget appeal as a compliment.

Keeping with the recent spirit of fighting the ghosts of this town, I thought it would be suitable to give you guys chance to have a look at VFX breakdown of Doppelgänger before the video goes public. Here it is;

Behind The Doppelgänger | VFX Breakdown - YouTube

As with my previous visual effects breakdowns, I did not delve too deep in explaining how things were done, but instead portrayed the steps needed to take from raw footage to final composition. I'm sure people here are no strangers to pains of video editing, but these videos might give nice perspective to those unfamiliar with the craft. Even audiences of amateur films often expect high quality visual effects (which you won't be finding here...), but fail to see how time consuming and tedious work in can be to even reach passable level.

As I said, the video is not public yet (only accessable through that link), so I'm willing to take suggestions if there were any parts you would have liked to know more of.

Thanks for watching.
    Last edited by SSCinema; 06-11-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks for posting this, I like seeing "how it was made" videos.

I enjoyed it. And thought the effects looked realistic(?) to me. I confess I did not initially understand the plot, but that did nothing to reduce my enjoyment.
    With regard to the line soldiers looking like the same person, it may be worthwhile examining the methods that actors are taught when wanting to emulate different body movements, pose, posture, body weight and height.

Tim, usually when playing random clones in background I do try to use few different styles of walks and gestures, but the problem here was the fact that I was portraying militarymen. I didn't even fully realize it before you mentioned emulating different body types. As mentioned in one of my earlier messages, I have some military background. Those actions can get imprinted on your posture and movements quite strongly. In this case, I reverted right back to the way things were trained. Poor analogy would be trying to hold fork & knife in varied ways instead of the way you have been doing it all your life. Other ways would only feel unnatural or even slightly perverse if you had had NCO yelling at you each time you "did it wrong" in your earlier life. As you can see, the result is all clones mirroring each others posture quite exactly in a synchronized manner (which was not the hoped result).

Got slightly sidetracked here, but thanks for the idea and feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast