Thread: Changing times

Blog Entries

Default Changing times

What's changed?
    Having used Google Adsense on the site for several years, my recent experience has led me to investigate an alternative. My decision was based on the following:

• I want full control over the ads that are served to guests and regular members. I found that recent adverts were not in line with what I find acceptable, or would be happy to promote.
    • A recent exploit to Adense diverted guests and regulars to a site that could potentially expose a user to virus. I found this completely unacceptable, and Google's response to this dissapointing.
    • I have recieved several notifications in recent months that the site is breaking the Adsene Terms of Service. It is not. However, I also get several emails asking me to consider running gambling ads and other types of service that are not in keeping with our Terms.
    • Adsense as a revenue stream falls well short of the cost of running a dedicated server in the UK. There is now no point in being at the mercy of Google.

What does that mean?
    Well, the revenue will fall even more, which means I am now heavily subsidising the site. I am happy to do this in the short to medium term, but I don't want this to be a long term outcome without achieving an increase in user engagement.

How can you help?
    My goal for the site has always been to make VideoForums the place for enthusiasts, budding filmmakers or pros with a passion to share ideas, tips, videos and stories. The greatest donation you can give is your enthusiasm and time. By making sure there is always something to read (by sharing stories, press releases, info, tips - just talking about what you're doing), we can keep the site fresh.

Blog Entries