Thread: Please help me find some reference clips

Default Please help me find some reference clips

Hey all,

I am working on a project and have recently shot 5 clips of someone speaking towards the camera. Each clip is about 3-5 seconds long and each has either a slight dolly in (about 5 feet) towards or away from, or from left to right or right to left (again about 5 feet of camera dolly movement).

My goal is to track the persons shoulder in Mocha AE and then attach that data to a null object in After Effects and then attach text to that null object so that the text becomes locked to the person (The exact same as if the person was wearing a blank name card and I needed to add a name to it.. only in my case I'd like the font to be much larger and be locked to him beside him as I've left enough room in the frame for the word to sit nicely.)

My problem is I'm having trouble finding reference clips that I can sort of mimic.. As in, if you guys could link to me any commercials that you can find where there's tracked text beside a talking head and it looks professional. (looking professional is the key here.. I'm trying to find the best font/color to go with.)

Any links that are professional looking (commercials on the net, youtube, vimeo etc..) would be great.

I'm not looking for tutorials on how to do this, more so just references to use as guides. Although tutorials wouldn't hurt!

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!
    Bunt Studios:

Specs:
    Acer Aspire Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad
    2.4 GHz Processer
    500GB SATA HD
    300GB IDE External HD (usb)
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    16x DVD DL Burner
    ATI Radeon X1650SE PCI-E Graphics Card
    Dual Monitor (19" DVI LCD, 19" VGA LCD)
    Vista Home

Adobe Production Studio CS3
    Steinberg Cubase SX3

Sony VX-1000 with Modded Raynox MX-3000 Lens

Perhaps simply tracking an object in 2d won't provide the necessary changes in perspestive. I suspect some nice examples of adding text to a scene can be found in demonstrations of Adobe's CS6's 3d camera tracking system.
    I am unsure what you mean by "clips that I can sort of mimic" as you appear already to know what you want and how it should look.

Thanks for the reply. Basically, I'm looking for commercials that have similar effects so that I can have a reference as to the sizes/ font style/color etc.. they used in their video. I have an idea of what I want, would just like some links to videos of stuff you guys may know about that has this sort of thing in them.

Thanks!
    Bunt Studios:

Specs:
    2.4 GHz Processer
    500GB SATA HD
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    16x DVD DL Burner
    Vista Home

Steinberg Cubase SX3

Sony VX-1000 with Modded Raynox MX-3000 Lens

I'm sure if you search for motion tracking on YouTube you will get plenty of examples.

Unfortunately, I have searched for almost 2 hours and the only stuff I've found was big blocky 3d text tracking videos that have good tracking, but the videos themselves are far from what I'm going for :(

Most of them are epic backgrounds with huge 3d concrete text for example.. I'm going for a more relaxed look, maybe a glass look with a professional font, not really 3d extruded text, not sure. If anyone knows of links that could give me some ideas as to a direction I could take with my project, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks again!
    Bunt Studios:

Specs:
    2.4 GHz Processer
    500GB SATA HD
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    16x DVD DL Burner
    Vista Home