Thread: Capture stops after 1.5 - 15 mins randomly. Banging head on

Default Capture stops after 1.5 - 15 mins randomly. Banging head on

The wall does not fix the problem .....

I have a laptop- NC6000- with pentium class M processor, but I cant use the integral drive as its too small for the whole kaboodle I am trying to capture.

So off I went and got an external 1394 firewire drive - seagate 160gig firewire drive(ST316002 3A/4A Barracuda ATA)) and a PCMCIA Dual firewire card. (ALi)

So I plug the PCMCIA in and the Sony DCr TRV355E Digital camcorder goes in the first 4 pin firewire port,

I then hang the external drive off the USB2 port on the laptop. Also tried hanging it off the other 1394 port on the pcmcia...

I set up a capture to write straight to a folder on the external drive - check the scratch disks confirm this and hit capture.

after some 1.5 to 15m mins the capture window freezes and the program goes not responding.

The camcorder is still playing back fine.
    I then have to reboot the PC to free the application for use again. and start from scratch...

powersave is off, no screen savers or anything. no virus scan either, the camcorder is powered by mains.

I have tried the external drive off both the USB on the laptop and the firewire on the PCMCIA and this still happens.

capturing to the integral Drive (Fujitsu MHT2040AH PL)on the laptop also fails but lasts longer before failing. say 15 mins or so.

All Ard (scouse veriant) drives are NTFS and DMA...

Can anyone point me in the right direction here please ?

is it not possible to use premier with an ext IEEE1394 drive or PCMCIA ?

I am using Premier elements and pro - tried both - same result.

Many thanks in advance.

I am seriously banging head now....

Ron.

At last count, Premiere (and presumably premiere Elements) do not support external drives at all.

A lot of people have claimed no problems and I do suspect the 'no support' things stems back from the days when bandwidth to external drives just could not keep up.

Try you capture to a fixed drive and then copy to your external drive later.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills
    At last count, Premiere (and presumably premiere Elements) do not support external drives at all.

A lot of people have claimed no problems and I do suspect the 'no support' things stems back from the days when bandwidth to external drives just could not keep up.

Try you capture to a fixed drive and then copy to your external drive later.
    Hi Allan and really thanks for the reply.

Incidentally I have already tried to capture direct to the proprietry drive - D.
    This also results in the same failure but granted - after 10 - 15 mins as opposed to 1 - 4 mins. of capture.

So after numerous tries, I am convinced that it isnt the ext drive IMHO that is...

I am trying an increase in Virt mem as it is set to 655 lower and 2000 upper...perhaps it needs more of a lower limit - say 1500 - 2000 ? dont know - just a thought....

Cheers.

Ron.