Thread: Creating 1080 resolution DVDs...

Default Creating 1080 resolution DVDs...

I created my first miniDVD and while it is a thousand times better than SVCD, I hunger for more resolution, such as a 1080 resolution DVD. Is it possible for the home user to create such a beast? I have Nero 6.6 Ultra and for this miniDVD I used the stock stuff, set for best quality, at 720x480 resolution. It's good and all, but I want to share the experience of what I actually see in-game. Now Nero VisionExpress only let's me select up to 720x480, but I know that a DVD can handle more. Would I need specialized software tot ake advantage of the higher resolutions?
    -The Great Sephiroth

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating 1080 resolution DVDs...

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth
    Now Nero VisionExpress only let's me select up to 720x480, but I know that a DVD can handle more. Would I need specialized software tot ake advantage of the higher resolutions?
    The DVD standard maximum res for NTSC is 720x480.

Yeah I know, but what about hi-def stuff? Best Buy sells DVD-players that can play the new 1080i DVDs, so I was thinking of going that route once I get my DVD-burner. Also, what if I made a DVD but use a non-standard resolution? Would it play or are players hard-coded to only play specific resolutions?? I know I'd have to keep it at 29.97fps though.
    -The Great Sephiroth

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth
    What if I made a DVD but use a non-standard resolution?
    If it's above the max resolution, it won't play.

How would I know what the max resolution of a DVD-player is? I am assuming that 720x480 (NTSC) is the max ona normal one and 1080x??? is the max on a high-end unit?
    -The Great Sephiroth

Blog Entries

The term "DVD" describes a standard. Standards ensure maximum compatibility - any resolution above 720 x 480 for NTSC is outside of this standard and will not play on most if not all players.

What you are asking for is high definition, which isn't part of the DVD standard. Sure, a handfull of players may play the thing, but the majority of players, and for that matter TVs, won't. So it's simply not worth it.

And good luck creating it to.

It took premier Pro ten hours yesterday for me to export a 22 minute video in high def WMV9. And there's me used to real-time. It was painful I can tell you.

Wow now that's some time, but I haven't played with WMV formats yet. I have primarily stuck with MPEG1/2 for size and quality.

As for hi-def, it's going to be here permanently by 2007. Already we're seeing the effects as braodcasters are now being forced to switch from analog signals to digital, and along with that we're seeing hi-def become a common thing. Like I said before, I work at Best Buy and while the DVD-players don't support 1080i/p very often, almost every TV sold aside from a dinosaur analog tube does. Some even upmix a 720 signal to 1080, which comes out fairly good from what I've seen.

Still, I guess I'll stick with 720x480 for a while and eventually give and buy a DVD-burner so i can get a decent amount of time on a DVD. Oh and I *WILL* be doing the dual-layer DVDs!
    -The Great Sephiroth