Thread: Hello! I need help with.. er.. everything.

Default Hello! I need help with.. er.. everything.

This is going to require a lot of help, and you pros out there are going to cringe about every step of the way, so this post should really test the mettle of the users of this forum .

Here's what we start with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdmBRuPRpIo I am not asking to be able to edit this on youtube.. I'm simply putting it out there for others to see so they can advise me.

Taken with Xsplit as a local recording with the following stats:
    Type: mp4 (sound is AAC LC)
    Codec: X.264
    Dimensions: 1280x720
    Data rate: 1527kbps
    Audio: 44 khz
    Bit Rate: 152 kbps
    FPS: 24 (even tho Cyberlink PowerDirector 11 says it's 333 fps)
    Quality: 10 (out of 20.. my first major mistake)

What's the point of this video?
    Well there's a referral system for this game, and some people would like to make their own referral chars and level them up themselves because the player base is very low. Yeah, that's a bit dubious, but the process itself takes about 5 hours per character and the better rewards come at 20, 50, 100, 500, so it's definitely not a hack or anything of the sort. This video is just an attempt to streamline that process and hopefully generate more hours played in the game and more overall interest.

What do I need to do with this video?
    - Obviously need to blur out my name. The publishers of this game really don't care that much about the players, and if they really wanted to find me, it would be PAINFULLY easy for them to do so, but there's no reason to make it any easier. Since my name appears all over the screen at various places, I need to know how to blur out splotches here and there
    - Need to speed up certain sections of the video. I guarantee not ONE of you watched the whole video, and I doubt most of the players who play this game would watch all 22 min. There are some easy sections to zoom through.
    - Need to crop out the black bars. I'm honestly not even sure how these came to be.
    - If there is any possible way, I'd like to boost my voice a bit. Yeah.. I know there's probably no way to do that.

What's my experience?
    Practically none. I'm a web developer and have been scouring the darkest corners of the internet since '94, but video editing has taken up very little of my computer time. I've messed with Sony Vegas pro(6? 8?) very little a handful of years ago, and just recently tried out Corel X6 and PowerDirector 11. I feel like a dog in a nuclear submarine - I have no clue what I'm doing. That being said, with my highly technical background, I should be able to pick anything up pretty quick, which is why I tried messing with things myself. That's when I found out I needed help.

So besides the things I listed above that I need to do with my video, I also need to know what type of software I should use. I mentioned a few that I tried and it's very easy for me to "try" more, but if you guys point me in the direction of something that will take care of everything I need, I make way more than enough to become a loyal supporter for years to come and would gladly do so.

Your first question may be (after vomiting from how terrible the source video is), "UUUGHH! Can't you just re-do this thing???" Yeah.. I probably could, but the map/score/everything turned out pretty well, and since this revolves around making a new account and everything, there's 0 guarantee that it could go smoothly the next time. I'd estimate my chances of producing something better at about 20%.

Thanks for any of you that made it to the bottom of my post, and I hope that at least some of you will take me seriously enough to provide some advice!

Cheers
    Last edited by Phrozt; 05-26-2013 at 06:10 PM.

If you have used Sony Vegas before then I would recommend using that. I use it and know it will do all you ask of it. The blurring out the name cropping the black bar can be done but what you really need to do is record footage in a 16:9 aspect ratio. To crop these black bars will mean you will have to loose some of the image top & bottom or stretch it out horizontally. Speeding up the footage is easy in Vegas.

There some very useful audio tool. You can increase the volume just buy moving the volume slider.

When you get it and get stuck come back with one question at a time as that makes it easier to help you.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If you have used Sony Vegas before then I would recommend using that. I use it and know it will do all you ask of it. The blurring out the name cropping the black bar can be done but what you really need to do is record footage in a 16:9 aspect ratio. To crop these black bars will mean you will have to loose some of the image top & bottom or stretch it out horizontally. Speeding up the footage is easy in Vegas.

There some very useful audio tool. You can increase the volume just buy moving the volume slider.

When you get it and get stuck come back with one question at a time as that makes it easier to help you.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the recommendation. Like I said I used it long ago and don't remember much about it, but I remember liking it. Because it *had* been so long ago, however, I checked the top recommended software because technology changes a lot, and I have to say I was disappointed with the top picks.

I'll give it a go again and see how thing turn out.

All Software progs change over time, sometime not for the better....Win ME, Win8, anyone? But if OP want to restart their interest in Video, - then Vegas is about as good a choice as any - but maybe now is a time to check what yr friends use, people at work, etc. it makes sense to use the same, so you can benefit from their experience. Do look at yr PC spec, though . . modern HD footage needs a powerful PC and graphics card. Good luck.