Thread: newbie capturing video using ulead v8.0

Default newbie capturing video using ulead v8.0

Hi, firstly I apologise if this is the wrong forum for this topic.

My problem is as follows; I have just built my new PC which consists of :

2 * 512mb DDR PC3200 400MHz 184pin Extra Value
    1 x AMD Athlon XP3200+ 400mhz FSB 512 L2 Cache Barton CPU - OEM
    1 x PcChips M848ALU SKT A SIS 748 400 DDR AGPx8 ATA133 6CH
    Sound/lAN/USB 2.0 will Take Upto a 3.2+ AMD Athlon XP And Sempron CPU's Retail Box
    1 x Geoforce XFX 5200 graphics card
    1 X Firewire card
    3 hard drives - 60GB, 20GB, 20GB.

I installed Ulead last night connected my Canon MV750i which was recognised by XP & started to capture my video. The first problem was that it was very jerky at first & I had a few 'hangs'. After a reboot it seemed to sort itself out but when I preview the video back the quality is dreadful, it's very 'blocky' & very bright. Before I can start editing I need to sort this out

Is there any other software / drivers I need to install to sort this out? do I need to buy a new hard drive just dedicated for video??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I'm vague or have left anything out.
    I have promised to film the nursery play in 2 weeks so if I don't sort this out I'm going to be in the dog house!!!

Thanks,

Welcome to the forums Floody.

Assuming that you are capturing via that firewire card then everything will be resolved.

First of all ditch that crappy footage that you captured.

Then defrag your hard disk.

In ULEAD make sure that you are using the defult capture template for DV-AVI. If you have a seconf hard drive then capture your footage to there, and set your temp files to the second hard drive. (File > Preferences > General TAB: Working Folder and File > Preferences > Preview TAB : Uncheck number 1 and change number 2 to a folder on your second hard drive.

Then capture and edit.

I am off to Rome for a few days (wo is me) but I will check back on Sunday to see how you got on.

Good luck!

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Purejammy,
    thanks for the advice, can I just clarify do I need to defrag both hard drives or just the one I'm saving the video to??

I don't see a reason for which you shouldn't defrag all your hard drives.
    Also, I suggest you close all unnecessary programs and software processes during capture (use Ctrl+Alt+Del to see what's running) and disable Windows visual themes, this will provide more hardware performance for the capture.

svhs is quite right, defrag both drives.

I'm off to Rome (Mrs Jammy is nagging me to get off the PC)

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Default arrrgh

Guys I've defraged my hard drives but this hasn't made the slightest difference. I'm still experiencing computer 'hangs' & the picture looks nothing like whats on the camcorder. Strangely enough when I captured it with Windows Movie Maker the quality was better (only just) but when played back or edited it looks like a bad pirate copy.
    Another thing I've noticed is that the sound goes all weird as well when capturing with Ulead or Power Director 2.0.
    I really am pulling my hair out here, I know that my system is up to the job but something, somewhere is falling down.
    Could it be my graphics card?, my drivers??

Please help

I've just had another thought, my software is installed on my C drive & I am saving my video onto a hard drive which is partitioned. I was just wondering in my problem had anything to do with the virtual memory set up on my PC. I'm going to search the web to see if I can find any info on this but thought I'd mention it anyway.
    thanks,