Thread: Passing of the Bridle

Smile Passing of the Bridle

Hi everyone,

I just uploaded a clip of a 15 min film I was the Editor on and was wondering what you guys thought.
    I've also put the trailer below which I edited which may give a little more info on the film.

Clip:
    Passing of the Bridle: Clip | The Steelworks - YouTube

Trailer:
    Passing of the Bridle: Trailer - YouTube

Blog Entries

Looked OK though the speaking characters were in semi silhoutette agaisnt the lighter background. I'd have been tempted to do some repair work to bring some detail back into their faces.
    I found it difficult to undrestand what they were saying - but then again I find that the case with most TV dramas these days.
    Tim

Typical any one North of Watford and he can't understand them.

Nice one Rob. I can't really disagree with Tim but if the directors happy with it, then it must be what he wanted.

Not sure about the trailor, I don't think the edit communicated the basic story line fully enough.

Thanks Tim / MB,

Yep, that's the Welsh valleys accent. Maybe I should put subtitles in!
    Both fair comments. I'm interested in what you said about the trailer MB. From one watch, what could you make out the story being?

It is very hard for me to understand but I live in America.

I already knew the story from your previous posts but I didn't get from the trailer that the story is about the boy taking over the looking after of the horses from the farther. I got that the farther who was possibly ill didn't want the son to take over the job. I got that the boy didn't want to do it. BUT I didn't really get from the trailer that he did.

Here's another clip. Let me know your thoughts.

Passing of the Bridle: Clip | The Hillside - YouTube

From the Trailer (but I watched the Film also...) I thought the film was about a career change away from mining, although both film and trailer didn't "Set the Scene" for me - Was this Reel One?
    Missing: those sweeping shots of Welsh landscapes, the Valley, the Pit Head, . . . all classic shots that quickly say What, Where and possibly Who. Then the speaking parts were good audio, for me, but I couldn't ID who was speaking . . . like they were hiding . . . was that me?

IMHO "opening shots" need to be fairly obvious, as they set the tone for the audience experience.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 06-15-2013 at 02:49 PM.

I totally agree with you that this film needed more opening shots.
    As the editor, I was constantly giving this same feedback to the crew as I didn't have any opening shots to work with for these scenes, so I had to make do with what I could.