Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passing of the Bridle

Smile Passing of the Bridle

Hi everyone,

I just uploaded a clip of a 15 min film I was the Editor on and was wondering what you guys thought.
    I've also put the trailer below which I edited which may give a little more info on the film.

Clip:
    Passing of the Bridle: Clip | The Steelworks - YouTube

Trailer:
    Passing of the Bridle: Trailer - YouTube

Blog Entries

Looked OK though the speaking characters were in semi silhoutette agaisnt the lighter background. I'd have been tempted to do some repair work to bring some detail back into their faces.
    I found it difficult to undrestand what they were saying - but then again I find that the case with most TV dramas these days.
    Tim

Typical any one North of Watford and he can't understand them.

Nice one Rob. I can't really disagree with Tim but if the directors happy with it, then it must be what he wanted.

Not sure about the trailor, I don't think the edit communicated the basic story line fully enough.

Thanks Tim / MB,

Yep, that's the Welsh valleys accent. Maybe I should put subtitles in!
    Both fair comments. I'm interested in what you said about the trailer MB. From one watch, what could you make out the story being?

I already knew the story from your previous posts but I didn't get from the trailer that the story is about the boy taking over the looking after of the horses from the farther. I got that the farther who was possibly ill didn't want the son to take over the job. I got that the boy didn't want to do it. BUT I didn't really get from the trailer that he did.

Here's another clip. Let me know your thoughts.

Passing of the Bridle: Clip | The Hillside - YouTube

From the Trailer (but I watched the Film also...) I thought the film was about a career change away from mining, although both film and trailer didn't "Set the Scene" for me - Was this Reel One?
    Missing: those sweeping shots of Welsh landscapes, the Valley, the Pit Head, . . . all classic shots that quickly say What, Where and possibly Who. Then the speaking parts were good audio, for me, but I couldn't ID who was speaking . . . like they were hiding . . . was that me?

IMHO "opening shots" need to be fairly obvious, as they set the tone for the audience experience.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 06-15-2013 at 03:49 PM.

I totally agree with you that this film needed more opening shots.
    As the editor, I was constantly giving this same feedback to the crew as I didn't have any opening shots to work with for these scenes, so I had to make do with what I could.

Hi everyone,

3 years later I'm finally able to upload the full Passing of the Bridle film online, so please (if you've got 15 mins) let me know what you think!

Blog Entries

Great to see a "proper" film for a change. Good job. The three main characters were well acted and no-one stood out as poor. Indeed the weaker bits (comparatively) of acting was more down to the script than delivery.
    Generally the whole thing flowed well, with the actors moving naturally.
    Ditto the editing.
    Photography and sound was excellent.

The rest is negative, but this has to be taken against the backdrop that it is otherwise very good. I AM being very picky in some cases.

Whilst the relationship between the father, mother and son was well expressed and the characters were individually believable, the scene betwen father and son as they were walking with the horse didn't feel quite right. I get the idea was that the son was frustrated at his fathers lack of interest and what he wanted to do with his life, but this didn't really come across very strongly.

Similarly, I didn't really get any passion from the father about his horse. He seemed to be "take it of leave it". There was no feeling that he was really tempted to go to the horse show but felt guilty about missing his son's career meeting and/or work..His mate persuaded him and he sort of shrugged it off - "Yeah, ok, might as well". I don't feel I'm explaining this well but If I decide to bunk off work to do something I really want to do my demeanor would be far more dynamic.

Again, when he decides to sell the horse, this doesn't seem like a massive deal to him. perhaps it's because we are unaware until that point that this is what Caroline Smith wants. We sort of see dad's realisation that he's been neglecting his son, but we don't see any sign of his internal struggle to come to terms with this and decide to abandon his presumed passion in order to renew a proper realtionship with his son.

In other words, whilst the subordinate dramas of the relationship between father/mother/son were well illustrated, the big drama was very underplayed. Where there should have been conflict, climax and resolution, we only really got resolution. The film told the story, but not the emotion.

The "careers advisor" scene worked OK for getting across the reactions to the lack of presence of the father, but I'd have been tempted to cut so that the interview carried on after we cut away. We were left with a very brief "You could go to college, here's a leaflet" and whilst that might be what the advice boiled down to, the poor bugger who had the job of careers master/mistress at least made some pretence at being interested in the candidate's achievements, strengths and desires.Obviously we don't need to see that, so just leave the scene with them discussing. (Actually watching again, I see you do cut away, but I was left with the impression that the meeting was over).. This scene also rather made a mockery of the following line from the mother "Well, that didn't go so bad, did it?"

The effort the team had gone to to get the authentic 1965 look was laudable. All the more reason that the few flaws stood out like sore thumbs. Dad's pyjamas (I presume those were pyjamas under hos coat when he and his wife are out in the field) were definitely post 1980. In the final scene we see an emergency light (made more obvious by a green LED).

Even though we couldn';t see the careers advice/college leaflet handed to the lad by the carrers advisor, it was obviously printed on glossy paper. I don't think anything was glossy back then - and certainly not handouts from the local college.

But the one that leapt out at me (and probably anyone older than about 30) was the phone number. The "01" prefix was only introduced in 1995. Prior to that area codes would begin with 0 but have anything but 1. For example my code was 0932 and it is now 01932. Furthermore back in 1965 the phone number would have been far shorter and prefixed by an area name rather than code, so "Ebbw Vale 7243" would have been a more realistic number.

My only other complaint is the use of widescreen (22:9 ?). Whilst a lot of the shots looked like it had been framed for that, there were several shots, especially the opening ones, that looked to me as if they'd been frames for 16:9 and basically looked "wrong" to my eyes.

It's clear that a hell of a lot of work has gone into this and the whole team deserve praise. It appears to be a college piece - how did it go down? Have you entered any festivals/competitions? What recognition has it got?
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast