Thread: New to editing .mts video. Need advice, please

Default New to editing .mts video. Need advice, please

While I have successfully edited a few home movies, I would still consider myself a beginner. I am having some trouble editing .mts video from my new camcorder. The video plays beautifully on my pc but when it plays “inside” the editing software, it seems a little choppy. Before I go any further, here are the specs:

PC configuration:

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 quad-core processor with Turbo-Boost [up to 3.8GHz, 8MB cache]
    • 16GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM

• 1GB DDR3 Radeon HD 6570 [DVI, HDMI. VGA adapter]

Panasonic HDC-TM900K

Software: Corel VideoStudio Pro X4

I did convert the video using handbrake and transferred to my macbook air so I could use imovie. I am not happy with the results. The low light portions of the video are grainy and pixelated. Also, that converted the video to .mov so when I burned it to a Blu ray disc, my players won’t read it. As you can probably tell by now, I have no idea what I am doing and need some help. All I really want to do is find a relatively easy-to-use editing program that will import and edit my .mts video without quality loss. I don’t even care about the cost. Does my pc configuration meet the requirements for this? Can you anyone suggest a “can’t miss” program that will accomplish this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Playing a video and opening a video for editing are very different. It takes a lot more power to do the editing side especially if you do things like colour correction. BUT you probably know this already. Is there a way of lowering the preview playback quality in Corel Video Studio ? In Sony Vegas & Sony Movie Studio this is a way to get smoother play back. Even thought the spec. of you computer is quite good you also have to keep it in good condition. Don't fill up the hard drives too much, keep them de-fraged etc...

You might want to think about getting a SSD for the OS & programs and a separate HDD for the media. This will speed things up for you.

Thanks Midnight. I will tune things up a bit and see if that helps.

London, England

I didn't see where OP has the vids stored for Editing . . . are they internal HDD copies? I agree the PC spec looks good but as MB says the power needed for Editing/real-time playback is enormous. . . . . my own PC is under half that spec but all vid clips are on a second internal HDD using SATA. . . . . External USB-storage is good for "Back-up" but not for the Editing process, er, IMHO.

I do have 2 big SATA hard drives (7200 RPM) and both have lots of free space. I was told Adobe Elements Premiere would definitely handle the 1080/60p video. I received a free copy of AEP version 9 so I installed it. It was waaaay worse than the Corel 4. I was pretty shocked. The camera itself does give a disclaimer (about 1080 being incompatible with computer editing) or something to that effect. I guess I paid $700 for a camera that I can only record in AVCHD. Kind of a waste.

I guess I paid $700 for a camera that I can only record in AVCHD. Kind of a waste.
    I don't see why avchd would play any better than .mts. You have, for some reason, a hardware shortfall. You can always use proxy files for the editing.