Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The importance of SOUND in movies.

Default The importance of SOUND in movies.

Last week I was playing with the Hitfilm 2 Ultimate compositing engine that came with the Vegas Pro Suite upgrade. In the process of learning the software I replicated two different effects as shown in one of Hitfilm's tutorials. It required a combination of masking and point motion tracking, along with keying and color corrections. After successfully making the visual effects, I wondered what it be like to do a soundtrack for the short scene. I was lucky and located the sound effects and Foley necessary to mix the SFX tracks, and bought what I thought would be the appropriate music track to set the mood. After doing this, I saw the result would make a nice demonstration promo for my Post-Production hobby website. So here is a trailer I made. The first half shows the green-screen shoot of the scene, the second half is the same scene after post production. This exercise proves the truism that the sound track is at least 51% of the movie, IMHO.

Ha Ha, Digger you really have been bitten by the SFX bug. I totally agree about the sound being so important to a video.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Ha Ha, Digger you really have been bitten by the SFX bug. I totally agree about the sound being so important to a video.
    Perhaps. Although, after hand matting that light saber frame by frame, I quickly lost the desire to do another one any time soon. Now I'm back into the study mode, learning how to use Blender so I can eventually create my own virtual sets and do animation. There is a really steep learning curve on that software. Yes, it would appear I am being drawn into the world of making my own worlds.

Hi worddigger,

I'd like to ask about that green screen if I may. Is it gathered that way to create deliberate shadow that appears on the background after chroma keying?

Otherwise you've achieved a very good keying from what looks like a very informal setup.

I'm struggling with green screen, I'd like to ask which software you are using for chroma key. Do you go to great lengths to achieve such a good finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Hi worddigger,

I'd like to ask about that green screen if I may. Is it gathered that way to create deliberate shadow that appears on the background after chroma keying?

Otherwise you've achieved a very good keying from what looks like a very informal setup.

I'm struggling with green screen, I'd like to ask which software you are using for chroma key. Do you go to great lengths to achieve such a good finish?
    I can't speak to the motives of the people who setup the background of that scene. I do know that it initially did show through when I first keyed it, but I was able to tweek it out quite easily through the threshold adjustments without crunching the key. The keying software was the one in the Hitfilm 2 Ultimate compositing engine. It is extremely versatile, much better than the one in Vegas Pro. It also has plugins for spill suppression and edge restoration. I was impressed by what that software can do.

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    Perhaps. Although, after hand matting that light saber frame by frame, I quickly lost the desire to do another one any time soon. Now I'm back into the study mode, learning how to use Blender so I can eventually create my own virtual sets and do animation. There is a really steep learning curve on that software. Yes, it would appear I am being drawn into the world of making my own worlds.
    Hey! Site Administrators: Great joke! I noticed a link inserted in the original of my above posting on the word "Blender" (a link added by Viglink) which goes to a page on Amazon.com for an electric blenders. For the Benefit of the inquiring minds that want to know, here is the correct link to the Blender software.

Blog Entries

OK, so you're following a tutorial. Still takes time & effort to get a good job like that.
    Tim

Agreed Tim. Years of experience behind what you learnt in the tutorial. That's why you made such a good job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    OK, so you're following a tutorial. Still takes time & effort to get a good job like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Agreed Tim. Years of experience behind what you learnt in the tutorial. That's why you made such a good job of it.
    Most kind. Thanks, guys. It's not the years...it's the course load at the University of Hard Knocks Film School.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmanjoe View Post
    So you are using blender! That is what I use for every thing. I use it even as a video editor.

Check out this clip. I did it with blender.
    Nice motion tracking work. I was not aware that one could do that with Blender. All the more reason for me to keep exploring its potential.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast