Thread: Background in two bits of footage slightly different shades of black.

1. Default Background in two bits of footage slightly different shades of black.

Hi all,

I've just started dabbling with film and editing etc. and it is immense fun but I have a few noob questions if anyone doesn't mind helping me out.

I'm doing a clip that is meant to look like the opening credits of a film. All is tremendous so far but I'm having a slight issue with colour. I have two pieces of footage of slow motion fire or flames running under the text. Now when the first piece fades out and the second piece of footage fades in towards the end (slightly overlapping) the second one's black background is slightly lighter than the main footage and there is a noticeable lift in the black tone.

I've tried brightness and contrast fx on the second track but the preview window doesn't seem to register the problem, it's only when I render and play it back that it's noticeable.

Is there some way I can match the black in both pieces of footage, like a dropper tool to select the black I like and transfer it to the second footage?

I'm sure there is an easy answer to this but like I say I am new to this and didn't have much luck in searches.

Thanks.

Sony Vegas Pro 12
    Windows 7 64 bit

If I may? . . . . In VMS the colours can be Set by picking the eye-dropper tool . . . it's very small . . . then click on the frame/picture you want to match. An alternative might be to leave the background colour off . . . and put it on another track . . . if it's only one clip the colour should remain the same (assume no Keyframing changes) . . . If you need to eliminate that background then S=Split the clip and move it about . . . the colour should not change . . . but I'm not sure what happens if you later change ( say) the first half, as it were.. . . . that dropper tool is under the vertical sliders, - one for "text" and one for "background" when you select Media Generators/Text, but each is quite small, until you realise what it is. . . . . BTW, You should tell us which Version you are running....mine is VMS v10. . . . . Are you sure you haven't introduced some additional colour/opacity in another track? When rendered things show up that maybe we miss in Preview. . . . .To test this "separate background" idea you can introduce some text (say 10pt) so it hardly shows . . . giving the colour-numbers which define the screen colour . . . ie on these separate background clips. . . . .Hope that helps.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 05-17-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krenzathal View Post
    Hi all,...I've tried brightness and contrast fx on the second track but the preview window doesn't seem to register the problem, it's only when I render and play it back that it's noticeable.
    You say you have Vegas Pro 12. See that you don't have the Split Screen View button (FX bypassed) pressed. It's above the Preview window.

4. Default

Hi, thanks for the replys.

Vidmanners, I'm not sure if Vegas Pro and VMS are the same program are they? I can't find a dropper tool in any case.

vkmast, the fx bypassed button is definitely off.

I'm currently trying to use the colour match plug in but now Vegas isn't opening the Track fx window, it seems to be a bug in some sort of loop. It looks like it is opening but heads towards the taskbar then nothing.

I've noticed a few things like this in Vegas with windows going missing etc, is this common?

Quote Originally Posted by Krenzathal View Post
    now Vegas isn't opening the Track fx window, it seems to be a bug in some sort of loop. It looks like it is opening but heads towards the taskbar then nothing.
    It seems your FX window goes out of viewable range.You may need to reset software to default settings to fix that.
    https://www.custcenter.com/app/answe...ail/a_id/2744/
    Before that, to find the hiding window you could try setting the Taskbar to autohide or uncheck lock taskbar and then move it. (Click an empty space on the taskbar, and then hold down the mouse button as you drag the taskbar to one of the four edges of the desktop. When the taskbar is where you want it, release the mouse button.)

If you alter something it does appear in the preview screen unless the FX bypass is selected. I would use the Colour curve FX tool rather than brightness contrast to make the blacks equal in each clip.

A neat trick to help you match the colour/contrast in two clips is to copy the first clip to the clipboard by clicking on the copy to clipboard button. Now move the cursor to the second clip and select Clipboard in the FX bypass options. The mouse cursor will be cross-hairs when over the preview window, left click and hold the mouse while you drag it to make a rectangle. You will find the first clip appears in the selected area. You can now see edge to edge the difference in the black and use the Colour Curve FX tool to adjust the contrast as needed to match the two clips.

You have to have the Bypass FX button selected to do this and if you don't select anything in the clipboard you will just get a black rectangle.

As for the eyedropper tool, you should find it in your FX window (when you find that).
    From Vegas Pro online Help (F1) (an example, Titles&Text plug-in)
    You can use the color picker, type color values (or names), or use the eyedropper to sample a color from your screen.
    You may need to click the down arrow first.
    Last edited by vkmast; 05-17-2013 at 05:50 PM.

8. Default

Hey, thanks for all the replys. I managed to sort the problem with the chroma keyer. I'm not sure this is the best method but it did work.

Thanks once again!