Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Composer offering free original instrumental soundtrack, intro, clip etc

Default Composer offering free original instrumental soundtrack, intro, clip etc

Howdy,

Iíve been getting in to soundtracks etc and Iíd like to try to expand my portfolio, if you will, by doing a free soundtrack for somebody. So far Iíve made music in a few different genres Ė have a listen to the showreel below for a better idea.

I hope you donít mind - but a couple of conditions for this:

- must be instrumental
    - must be short a production, by short I guess less than 15 mins
    - no crazy deadlines (I work 9-5 at the moment and Iím busy with music in the evenings and weekends, so I hope you understand I probably canít drop absolutely everything for a freebie job but I will certainly break my balls to make it happen)
    - I canít afford any extra costs like professional mixing, mastering etc at the moment Ė so if the piece becomes more complicated with a good few tracks etc, (which is fine) you may actually want it professionally mixed and you would look after that cost yourself.

This showreel will give you an idea of what I can do. I think youíll find me easy to work with and basically Iíll give unlimited revisions until its right and youíre happy as Larry. I'm hard-working, reliable and a pretty nice guy to boot.

If youíre interested, drop me an Ďol message with details of your project. If I get a few replies Iíll pick the most appropriate or what I think Iíll be able to get done within timeframes etc.

Nice one

Nice . . . . have you considered making some Royalty-free discs, at least until the Big Time calls?

Hey man, thanks...

The Big Time eh? I think the big-time these days would be earning minimum wage making music - for me at least!

yeah I would consider doing anything (within reason) to improve the profile I suppose. Not sure where to start on that one. Would I compose tracks then approach music libraries or what? Or would I compile my own library as such?

In UK there is a new VideoMag -FilmMaker, published in Bournemouth, they have no cover-disc...but might like to offer one - maybe for a fee with some stock photography and music (provided it's Royalty-free). I find the most recent stuff from Sony (ie free with Movie Studio) is verging on poor - remember what many folks want to go with the holiday/anniversary vids.). Alternatively you could set up a downloading site - but selling CD's is far easier as you get feedback directly). Personally I'd like some "classics" (out of copyright) - like Fur Else, Moonlight Sonata and hundreds of others. . . . Sony supplies 15 sec, 30 s 60 s and some 180s versions of their tunes, so folks can fit them into parts of a film, where it helps. but fpr me I'd prefer to have instrumental: flutes, strings, some brass with little or no drumming. . . . . . Years ago I bought a doubleCD of Hooked on Classics which sounds like a tape recording from the Albert Hall Toilets- where some Oik had installed a drum-kit - it effectively ruined perfectly good orchestration. What "we want" (er IMHO), is to be like the Big Movies. OR maybe BBC Wildlife series. I heard one that was really useful for steam-train journeys (and the nutters that film them, like me?), Steam Train RIde by Mumby (may be error), written late 19c an interesting rhymic build from a slow start.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 05-21-2013 at 12:20 AM.

interesting stuff. Its definitely worth considering that area. Though I imagine the key to it and establishing yourself or anything like this, would probably be carving out some kind of niche if possible.

Putting aside the harsh realities that we all (probably) eventually have to suck it up and do stuff that we don't love to make a few quid...my focus at the moment would be on bespoke projects, whatever the type of project. I'm guessing at this stage that's where my strength is. I fall down technically as I've no formal training or background whatsoever. I learn on the fly. But creatively I'm pretty prolific thankfully.

But i will certainly look into putting together some kind of royalty free library that people could pick/choose/download to their heart's content because the experience of putting the stuff together alone would be invaluable.

Listening to yr Showreel is as I said pleasant experience, so I hope it goes well for you. It is difficult to join the big time without that element of LUCK, meanwhile a sensible route to fame is perhaps royalty-free where you sell a genre of CD/DVD which folks can use with a By-line. Like Kevin McLeod - but he's been going for years I think. Why not look at news stories and invent a little documentary//story as background - then make some music to join the whole thing together . . So you get Fun, Sadness, Fear, Triumph, Etc. as well as the usual classics (for B-M-D) which will be familiar to we punters it doesn't hurt to have a royalty-free version "on the shelf" - just that little bit different from Library stuff. . . . Classics as I suggested, are great as there is no problem with copyright - one less thing to worry about. . . . . . Good Luck.

Thanks man - I really appreciate you taking the time to give a bit of advice. It's something I'll definitely pursue in some form or another.

Nice tunes there mate,I am a songwriter myself and I enjoyed your showreel very much,keep up the good work.

IMHO there is already too much music available in the world. The fun for composers should not be that someone has used their 5 min piece in a film, but that the music in the film was written after the film was made. I suggest that scoring and incidental music for films may be the OP's preferred route; and such skills are possibly more in demand than churning out complete pieces.
    I suspect that if asked, you may find Forum users who will give permission for you to use their footage and to replace the audio with your own.

@Daz

Thanks man, appreciate that
    Last edited by Stasissounds; 05-31-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast