Thread: Slide Show, snapshot/video compilation (basic questions)

Default Slide Show, snapshot/video compilation (basic questions)

Hi, very new to both this forum, and video production. I have created/rendered/produced a score of very amateur videos. Having nether the quality of gear, nor skill to create more than an amateur video, I have made these as a learning device. My ability to better my tools, (hardware, software), is limited greatly by the budget I have to work with. On the other hand, I figure there is little to limit what learning I might afford myself other than my personal drive, and my ability to find the answers that will educate me. I preface the questions I want to ask here with this, because I worry that this may not be the right place for a beginner as green as I to ask for help? If that is the case, I would appreciate an answer to that question, and would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction to answer my other very beginner questions. That said, I will waste no more time and get to it. Thank you.

I have gotten a little carried away with my current project. I am trying to make a short compilation, (just under 4 minutes), of both short video clips, and still images. I am trying to build this video composite on/around a prerecorded audio narrative. (A poem I have written as a birthday wish/e-card.)

This is my first attempt to build a slide show, and I knew absolutly nothing about how to do it when I started. The only thing I know beyond that at this point, is, that I am not doing it right. After many hours of adjusting the segments in both position, and duration, the video matches the audio segment for segment pretty well, but the over all result is,,,well, ugly.

I have some ideas of what I am doing wrong, but thought asking those who know what their doing made better sense than trying to fix it by trial and error. For all I know it may be a bad idea to ever mix motion video with stills? It may also be the lack of using transition in places? Or, perhaps it is the lack of consistency of segment length? (I have aimed for 2.5 - 3.5 sec. segments, but because some of the segments have text, I have pushed the duration to 5+ places.) Or, it may be a combination of all of these things, or something else?

I feel these are stupid questions, or at least the questions of someone who is very stupid about what he is doing, and admittedly I am. As I said at the start, these questions are so basic, this may not be the best place to seek the answers, - I do not want to waste anyone's time, but any help/advice any one might offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I think it's hard to integrate video with still images except in certain situations. It's a bit difficult to be able to help without seeing what you have so far. If you upload it to YouTube and post it here we can have a look and see what needs to be done.