Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Music video - WAR

1. Default New Music video - WAR

Hi guys, I directed a pop music video early this year which has finally been released...

Would love to hear your feedback on it!

Thanks!

Nice job, mostly. One thing that I didn't like was the profile shot which you use a number of times. The talent has what I would call a boxers face and when in profile just doesn't show him off very well. Not only do we have to think of the lighting, camera movement, focal point, etc... we have to see that angle works with the talent. The DOP/Director has to be aware of everything.

Other than that it was ok.

This left me completely brain dead, so you did ok for the market this is aimed at.

What exactly does directed mean these days? What did you actually do?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Nice job, mostly. One thing that I didn't like was the profile shot which you use a number of times. The talent has what I would call a boxers face and when in profile just doesn't show him off very well. Not only do we have to think of the lighting, camera movement, focal point, etc... we have to see that angle works with the talent. The DOP/Director has to be aware of everything.

Other than that it was ok.
    Thanks for the feedback, I agree completely! This was an extremely tough shoot for reasons I won't go into, so I won't make excuses but I'm sure you can all appreciate the rigors and logistics of filmmaking that occur behind the scenes, it doesn't always go to plan!... But lesson learnt! Now onto the next one!

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    This left me completely brain dead, so you did ok for the market this is aimed at.

What exactly does directed mean these days? What did you actually do?
    Apologies if if your question is genuine but are you being facetious? Would you like an intelligent answer or a stupid one?

No, I asked you what directed means. These days people bullshit a lot, so you have to make things clear, so I'm asking.

Directed would mean you had actors, a storyline, and camera men provided. Your job was to tell them what to do, maybe choose location, and then have someone edit it.

Is that right?

Oooer, and on another topic . . . can others put me right? . . or does the sound seem "Too-close?" . . . The view is (an empty carpark?) yet there is a full rockband (e.g. hidden behind the camera)...Is this just volume-level . . . or does phasing come into it as well? - - - and then how does one adjust that? In the past I've introduced a TINY phase-error by Editing the music in SoundForge which came with VMS Production Suite. This can hint at echo/reverb without using the SF modifier. See under Insert Silence, etc. . . . only just a few milliseconds.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 05-17-2013 at 03:05 PM.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    No, I asked you what directed means. These days people bullshit a lot, so you have to make things clear, so I'm asking.

Directed would mean you had actors, a storyline, and camera men provided. Your job was to tell them what to do, maybe choose location, and then have someone edit it.

Is that right?

Well, the people in the video were made up of extras, one actor and the artist himself.

I was asked by the artist to direct a video for him for his idea and was involved in every step of the way.

If you want me to elaborate, I was given a budget and asked to create an original treatment for the song which I did but it was rejected by the artist
    so I did another one, tailored towards his ideas which he decided to choose in place of other directors.

Then I went about assembling crew, location and kit and storyboarding and shot-listing the video.

I picked up the kit from a rental house and shot the next day in the car park with the crew, making sure we had the shots and I got what I needed
    but we were under a tight deadline so we planned a studio shoot day with a reduced crew and got the performance bits.

After that I edited it myself and then sat with the DOP on the initial grade before it was sent off and finished.

A couple months after it was finished the artist released it and here it is.

This is quite a brief account of the process, I could go into quite a lot of detail about the hard work and trials and tribulations but as you are a film maker
    yourself I'm sure you are only too aware of these.

To sum up the video took from start to finish roughly 3 months to do and had a very low budget and took a lot of my time to make as I was involved in every stage.

I hope that satisfies any questions you have, and feel free to ask more as I certainly do not 'bullshit'!

Blog Entries

That's actually quite an interesting account and I am grateful to stripe for asking the question.
    "Directed" can mean anything for someone who does absolutely everything himself (like my amateur attempts) to someone who has very specific work and has to adhere to directions already scripted/storyboarded on the day of the shoot and that's it.

No bullshit on the director front from you then. Also part producer, runner, editor etc so all credit to you.

However, what makes your cameraman a DoP? as opposed to a cameraman? (I've often wondered that)
    Tim

I liked the lights, I noticed the lack of extras which I know is a bitch to organise with budgets and asking people for freebies who don't show up. The story line bored me, it was just a man walking, you probably could have made more of a deal about the girl at the end, who was she in the story? it was a bit random having a quick flash of her at the end. You've mentioned the artist had input on the final concept, as a director it's your job to argue for the sake of the story as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast