Thread: How are my specs for HD editing in Vegas/Premiere?

Default How are my specs for HD editing in Vegas/Premiere?

Hi all. I know you probably get many of these sort of posts, but here's hoping you guys can help me.

I have used editing software quite a bit in university studios etc but when it comes to home editing I am not entirely sure my PC can handle it as I have very little knowledge about PC hardware.

I have recently bought a DSLR Sony Alpha 57 (AVCHD), arriving in a few days, and was wondering if my PC is up to the task of rendering 1080p/24-60fps video. I will also be using some effects and filters etc. I suspect that my graphics card may be way too old but not sure about my processor. If both are too old I guess I have no choice but to fork out more money on a new PC/Laptop.

My specs are:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 - 2.66GHz
    8GB DDR3 RAM (in 4 2000MB pieces)
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel X38 Motherboard
    Radeon HD 4850 which only has a memory of 512.

If it's just a case of needing a better graphics card, which would you recommend? e.g. I know that Nvidia cards are supposed to be better at handling programs like Premiere and Vegas.

Would Nvidia work on my motherboard? Or is that only a problem if the motherboard is AMD?

I know a lot of you must be fed up with these questions, and the fact that this is my first post. If i can manage to really get back into editing however, I am sure I will be sticking around here for a long time.

Thank you.

What editing software do you have/intend to use?

Since it will all happen anyway, why not suck it and see? Sony Vegas for example, has many output quality variations for previewing etc, chances are your PC may be adequate.

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing your stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    What editing software do you have/intend to use?

Since it will all happen anyway, why not suck it and see? Sony Vegas for example, has many output quality variations for previewing etc, chances are your PC may be adequate.

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing your stuff.

Thank you for your quick reply Stripe!

I have Vegas Pro 10 and also a slightly older Premiere which I got at a student discount a few years ago.

I intend to use both I guess but starting with Vegas as it seems a little more beginner friendly (im not a beginner but haven't edited in about 2 years)

I will definitely try it out anyway, the reason I started this thread is because when I did a test edit, I found that previewing and editing was fine but the video ended up being choppy after rendering, which made me want to ask this question about my specs regardless.

I will play around with output settings anyway but would still be interesting to see what other people's opinions are on my setup.

Well that sounds like good news, because choppy after rendering is very unlikely to be the PC fault, more likely your input video is mixed up, or output settings are incorrect.

Maybe you could let us know these, and the experts will be helping you in no time

Thank you that's excellent news.
    To be honest, I think my input and output settings are probably all kinds of mixed up now that I look at it. Looks like I've forgotten quite a bit about video/audio encoding etc.

I'll have a look at some youtube tutorials and post another question/thread if/when I have an actual specific problem when I actually try editing for real, because in the test, I used a random 1080p video i found on my hdd, weird file format etc.
    Best to see how it runs with AVCHD.

Thank you for your help! Take care.

I got AVCHD cam too, I have been using MP4 full HD for my output, sometimes WMV etc gives crazy results.