Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picture in Picture - Change Shape

Default Picture in Picture - Change Shape

Hi folks! First let me apologize because I am the very definition of a newbie here. I've just begun using Vegas today and was hoping to use it to replace a piece of software called Serif MoviePlus that I've been using for some time. It may help for me to explain my ultimate goal before getting into my specific question...

In short, I use Serif to put together holiday shows that are projected onto my house. Further, the final outcome is a single video projected onto my home that ultimately puts a separate video/still/effect into each window along with very often something on the background (around the windows) as well as effects on window sills and gutters. I can share a link to a video of both the show projected on my home as well as some source video from Serif if that helps, just let me know!

I am trying to use Vegas to do the same things I was doing in Serif. Frankly, I love using Serif as it's functionality is quite perfect for the shows we do however it is incredibly resource intensive and I'd heard Vegas would potentially be a better solution for me. Of course any time you move from one piece of software to another there can be a huge learning curve and I'm suffering from that.

Here is what I'm attempting to do and having difficulty with:

I have two items on the timeline. One is a video and the other is a still image with areas of transparency used as a mask (it is a map of my windows). I have figured out how to make the still a mask and see the video only in that area however the part I am running into difficulty with is that resizing the video to fit within that space (vs. the mask just showing say the upper left corner). I've tried using the pan/zoom feature as well as the track motion feature (picture in picture - I got help from the thread in the sticky here) and I've gotten very close however what I am unable to do is resize the video and ultimately change it's shape. The projector sits at an angle on my property meaning that ultimately, even though every window is of course square, the video projection itself projects the windows in a sort of odd oblong shape because of the angle. I need to be able to essentially corner pin the video by taking each corner and placing it into the space of the mask. This ultimately takes what was a rectangular video and makes it an odd sort of tilted square. I'm sure there's a setting I'm missing but I just can't figure it out.

I was also curious if there was a way to do this (move/resize the video track) in the preview window or to do so with the mask appearing in the resize window vs. essentially moving it around and having to watch the impact of my changes on the preview window behind it. Is there a way to do my edits using the actual entire preview showing everything live at that point in the timeline?

Again thank you so much for any help and apologies for the very obviously newbie question!

If you have the house map on the top track with the PiP video on a lower track you can mute the top track so you can see what your doing with the lower track. I'm not sure if you just want a small portion of the video or the whole video reduced in size. If the latter, to "change the shape" of the area you want you need to de-select the maintain aspect ratio button. Then pull down on the F Box. This will make the image smaller then move it side ways to adjust the width. If you just want a small section of the video you need to use the mask tool within the pan/crop tool. If you don't have a masking tool you can use the cookie cutter FX.

Is this what you are looking for ?

Thanks so much for the response. Unfortunately, while deselecting the maintain aspect ratio button that does allow me to make it all sorts of forms of rectangles but it doesn't allow for say one side to be taller than the other (picture a rectangle with one side being taller than the other so it's sort of squat on one end). I want to truly be able to change the shape of the video by essentially moving each of it's 4 corners to different places on the screen (without moving one of the corners making another corner also move together with it).
    Last edited by happymommy; 05-09-2013 at 08:42 PM.

You will have to use the masking tool to make a shape like that.

Thank you again for the quick response! I'll have to play around a bit I'm thinking.

Unfortunately the Mask tool doesn't resize the the video itself but rather masks a part of it off (i.e. I can make whatever shape I want but it's not altering the video into that shape, just masking everything but said shape). It appears cookie cutter does the same. I want to take a rectangular video and reshape it in it's entirety. Harumph!

Blog Entries

If I'm reading this correctly the piece of the puzzle you are missing is that you want to be able to resize the image inconsistently - eg create a trapezoid from a rectangle.
    You could do this by using the Sony Deform FX
    You might also be able to do this with 3D track motion (change the track motion type from Source Alpha to 3D Source Alpha.
    Almost certainly here will be some work involved in getting this right, but I'd think once the "template" is set up properly, it will be a cinch.

In fact, given that the whole house must need the same deformation, wouldn't it be easier to create the whole thing as if you are projecting straight on then put a track above all these tracks and make it the parent of those, then either Deform or apply 3D Track Motion to the parent?
    Tim

You have many options with this. There is the ideas that Tim mentioned. The masking tool to get the shape along with the pan/crop to size it.

Another way to look at it is to use the Map of the windows as a mask as these are already the right shape and just resize. (That's what I thought you was doing in the first place).

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly the piece of the puzzle you are missing is that you want to be able to resize the image inconsistently - eg create a trapezoid from a rectangle.
    You could do this by using the Sony Deform FX
    You might also be able to do this with 3D track motion (change the track motion type from Source Alpha to 3D Source Alpha.
    Almost certainly here will be some work involved in getting this right, but I'd think once the "template" is set up properly, it will be a cinch.

In fact, given that the whole house must need the same deformation, wouldn't it be easier to create the whole thing as if you are projecting straight on then put a track above all these tracks and make it the parent of those, then either Deform or apply 3D Track Motion to the parent?
    Yes! A trapezoid... that was the word that for the life of me I couldn't get to. Thank you!

And to note... yes everything needs deformation. Alas because of the road in front of the house and the projector's throw ability there isn't any option to project straight on. Even if we could though, there are always going to be slight angle that require bits of deformation because, while a house is square, projecting on surfaces that aren't "flat" (i.e. a house that isn't just a flat square with doors and windows but has maybe parts that jut out) requires it.

Thank you again both of you for the suggestions. The more research I've done I'm not thinking Vegas is going to be my best option. There are a couple of other things we truly rely on to make these shows such as chroma key functionality as well as the ability to set a mask and transformation onto a video group (so that all tracks brought into that group immediately take on said transformations). So much of what comes built in with Serif isn't easily available in Vegas. This kind of makes me sad because it's so much less resource intensive. Our biggest motivation was Serif would begin to lock up and freeze on video preview because it was simply just using too much in the way of memory/cpu on our laptops. Alas, I think it's because in this case it's the more powerful tool (or at least when it comes to the features we use).

I'd love to know if anyone has any other thoughts though!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by happymommy View Post
    Thank you again both of you for the suggestions. The more research I've done I'm not thinking Vegas is going to be my best option. There are a couple of other things we truly rely on to make these shows such as chroma key functionality as well as the ability to set a mask and transformation onto a video group (so that all tracks brought into that group immediately take on said transformations).
    Either I haven't understood properly or you haven't understood properly, but that seems to be exactly what I was getting at with:
    Could you do as you suggested earluier and post a limk to a small sample of a finished video?
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast