Thread: LUX - Downhill short.

Default LUX - Downhill short.

Hey guys!!

This is a short film I made for my final year project at uni. Shot on my 550D, with the use of a Glidecam and also a Glidetrack.

Hope you guys enjoy, let me know what you think!

Joe

Blog Entries

Very watchable. Good use of both glidetrack and glidecam (not overused either, which I like).
    Either it was too long or the break in the middle between day and night didn't work for me - possibly both. Hard to put my finger on it but it just felt "wrong" to me.
    I didn't like the jump cuts at the begining of part tw0 - they seemed too spaced apart to really work.
    Tim

I thought it was very watchable also. A good variety of shots kept the interest for a while but I did feel it was a bit long over all. If I was a big down hill fan may be I would feel different. I liked that you had a beginning part then a middle section but the end was a bit flat. It was a nice glide cam shot at the end but the narrative was a little flat, There didn't seem like a real conclusion to the video.

I loved the shot at 3:41, it fitted really well with the music.

very enjoyable !

like the look of the first course....where is it?
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    very enjoyable !

like the look of the first course....where is it?
    Thank you very much!

The first section was shot at Rogate, near Petersfield in Hampshire... as was the night stuff!

6. Default

Really liked this. Liked the break in the middle too. Some great cinematography and very well edited (bike jumping to the beat, turning a corner to the rhythm etc). I feel that it was let down by being a minute too long, using a few shots that didn't add much and ultimately took away from the finished piece.

Sorry, I was confused by the dark-start then a short car-drive in daylight . . . it could have started there (but what do I know) . . . I wonder if some of our senior-posters can say what a slider-shot "conveys"? - and then, maybe, when it should be used?

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Sorry, I was confused by the dark-start then a short car-drive in daylight . . . it could have started there (but what do I know)
    It's the intro. Preparing his bike the night before, and then putting his bike on the car and driving off in the morning. I feel like the music narrated that pretty well and I'm not sure where your confusion has come from...

Also confused as to what you mean with your slider comment. It can convey anything a filmmaker wants, and can also be used whenever a filmmaker wants. It simply adds movement, dimension and layer, producing a less static, more cinematic shot.