Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadcast requirements help

Question Broadcast requirements help

I may need a broadcast guru for this, but I want to enter competitions on a site, and these are the requirements of the footage output/quality. It's a lot of double dutch for me, and I fear my Sony NEX VG20 stands no chance of meeting these requirements.

But at least someone may save me a lot of headache trying to figure that out, so if anyone can see where I am a non-starter here, can you please point it out for me?

Codecs: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) [preferred], Avid DNxHD or DVCPro HD
    Scaling: Content may NOT be upscaled from SD
    Frame size & rate: 1920x1080 (Progressive) [23.98, 29.97 or 25], or 1920x1080 (Interlaced) [29.97 or 25], or 1280x720 (Progressive Only) [23.98 or 29.97]
    Color space: ITU-R BT.709
    Audio: Stereo LPCM in either Big Endian or Little Endian, 16-bit or 24-bit, at 48kHz (Audio levels should remain constant at -6db as much as possible. Please prevent audio levels going below -12db.)

1. All text must be TITLESAFE regardless if it is for online use only or not. (See below for details)

2. “Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)” is NOT “Apple ProRes 422”, if ProRes, must supply (HQ)
    3. H.264, MPEG2 and MPEG4 are NOT supported file codecs.
    4. Audio must be in STEREO. If both the L and R audio are identical, it is TWO CHANNEL MONO and will fail. (See below for details)
    5. Audio as 44.1k is NOT supported; it must be 48k. AAC is NOT supported, it must be LPCM,
    6. When delivering 5.1 AUDIO, the channels must be clearly named and labeled (either on the tape or the filenames).
    7. 4:1 CADENCE is a failure point for Long Form content. (See below for details)
    8. Content cannot be PILLARBOXED.
    9. Audio and video must be properly SYNCED on all video content.
    10. FIELD DOMINANCE issues resulting from reversing the wrong field (upper/lower) first.

Most of this is straight forward. If you choose an Apple, Avid or DVCPro HD render template in Vegas and then check the settings are being met in the custom settings. The only other thing would be to make sure any titles are not set too close to the edge of the screen (TITLESAFE).

Is there a particular part of it that you don't get ? I don't know what the cadence part of it is.

Thanks for looking MB, I had heard that only certain pro cams are broadcast capable, seen terms such as 4:2:2 or something which means broadcastable, but my cam doesn't have that, so I thought this stuff was part of that concept.

I'll check Vegas and try to achieve what they are asking for, this stuff just looks scary, and I thought my cam was out of its depth here, for example this is what cadence defines as, (but yeah I never heard of it either)...

4:1 Cadence ( Long Form Content: Immediate Failure)
    4:1 Cadence means you have 4 progressive frames of video, and every 5th frame is a repeat of the 4th frame. There should be no repeated frames at all. This issue is often the result of a 23.98 frame video being converted to 29.97 incorrectly. When done correctly, you will see 3 unique progressive frames followed by 2 interlaced frames. Content should be kept native to the frame rate at which it was shot. This also can occur when interlaced content is tagged as progressive.

Lets be straight, your camera records AVCHD format which is not good enough. I thought you could render your video in one of the acceptable formats using Vegas but on closer inspection they are not included. There are some that are close but none that I can see that will meet all their criteria fully.

Sorry for misleading you.

I'd like to know more about the competition to see why they are being so restrictive in the formats that they'll accept.

Ok thanks, that's what I thought. Looks like I'll need one of those cannon cams with that 4:2:2 stuff.

The comp is high end stuff, from TV broadcast to Ipod, maybe even cinema! Gold standard.

However it's not beyond an amateur to still have the ideas for a video, but pointless if you don't have the gear to acheive it.

You can download the Avid DNxHD codec and the Apple Pro Res which will appear in the QT options in Vegas. Also check to see if you have a DVCPro HD codec in the .avi template. I do but this may be because I have a 3rd party plug-in which I needed before Vegas version 12 to edit from the HVX200 camera which records in DVCPro HD.

I don't know if you can record to an Atomos Ninja from your camera, if so you're good to go as it records in Apple Pro Res or Avid DNxHD, that's when you get the money together to buy a Ninja.

Thanks MB, that gizmo sounds interesting, however I'm finding it discontinued, even here Atomos Ninja 2 Video Recorder ATOMNJA002 B&H Photo Video

I'll have a look at those settings you talk off asap.

Cheers.

You should be able to get a Ninja 2 field recorder from any of THESE OUTLETS. Atomos is an Austrailian company so you might even be able to get one direct from them.

Yep that's pretty handy, I was surprised to find they were Australian.

I was more thinking that maybe #3 has come out?

No worries for now, I'll work on it,

thanks.

MB, I just spotted the Odyssey today - link below. I wonder if you can give me the benefit of your knowledge, this is new ground for me.

Also read that my cam produces 442, but the native compression outputs 420, whereas with this I will bypass that compression and output 422.

Curious, nanoflash will do the same, but prices were $2000 for a nano flash, whereas this gizmo is $1200, am I missing something, because this looks like a much better device, although I think you have to add the storage drive to it.

Odyssey7 and 7Q

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast