Thread: Working with AVI files

Default Working with AVI files

I have a lot of AVI files on the HDD from loading DV tapes that I want to edit. If I work on the avi files and save them after editing them (mostly reducing the lenght) and do this several time, is there a loss in qulaity. I would like to archive these edited files as I can not fit all the contents of my tapes on the HDD (over 20 Dv tapes) and have a 200gig HDD.

Thanks

*technically* because DV-AVI isn't totally lossless, you will lose some quality, but considering DV-AVI is so much better than DVD anyway, unless you keep re-editing the same file about 100 times*, you probably won't notice a difference

If you're that bothered about losing quality, you can always edit your stuff in a lossless format, for example HuffYUV or even RAW format. But RAW is HUGE.

* possibly exaggerated

Blog Entries

Let's say about 5 times.

im in the same boat as you, but why not do what i do?

which is what?

whoa hang on ill tell ya in a sec...

I have transfered as much as i can onto hard drive to free up some tapes. Now I keep the rest on tape. When I want to, or in most cases, when I have time to edit, ill then capture the video there and then, or you can do it the day before.

This way all is stored safe, quality.
    2 x 21\" HITACHI super contrast monitors.....2 x 200 gig HDD\'s....2 x 512mb dane-elec pc3200.....TV in card (cheap and sh!t!)....3.2 P4 HT....BOARD - ASUS P4C800 - C delux (fsb 800mhz DUAL DDR 400)....GRAPHICS - ATI 256ddr POWERCOLOUR Radeon 9600XT (500mhz/400mhz)....MATROX RT.X100 real time editing card