Thread: AVS Video Editor - multi trim suddenly stalling... question!

Default AVS Video Editor - multi trim suddenly stalling... question!

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and have a question for anyone familiar with AVS Video Editor (or just generally answers to questions about software suddenly deciding to hate my computer). Basically, I use AVS Video Editor just to multi trim my videos. I've been using it for months, and all of a sudden out of nowhere, I used it a couple days ago on a new video (two new videos actually) and the multi trim feature is stalling. This happens when I use the multi trim window, and when I use playback. Basically towards the end of each snippet (scene), the audio stalls, as does the video, for a split second... if I trim it further, it happens again. Basically the playback isn't smooth, and I can't edit or play the video without it all sounding distorted and the video freezing. Literally this happened out of nowhere, I haven't suddenly filled up my computer or anything so it doesn't seem to be running slowly. So here's what I've done: Deleted the software and uninstalled it, then reinstalled it to no use. I've uninstalled it and changed software, and it even happens on alternative software!!! Very bizarre. Because of that I'm thinking that it's maybe not just to do with AVS video editor but my computer not processing these short multi-trims quick enough... blah blah, no idea what's going on, any help MUCH appreciated. Thanks! Freddie

Hi Freddie and welcome to the Forum!

Although I am not hugely familiar with the program you are using the situation you describe tends to make me think the problem is not actually with the software itself.

So let me just throw some ideas at you here and see if anything makes enough sense for you to move forward.

First up I would be seriously thinking to myself whether I had recently installed any new software or updated any existing software on my editing computer.

Either of those scenarios introduce the possibility of that new software or that new update having altered something in the Windows Registry which is now causing problems or....

Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Software designed to run on Windows makes use of a type of file called a .dll file. Let's not get into that too much but in a nutshell those files allow software developers to use existing .dll files that come with the Windows system to perform standard tasks.

So instead of 10 different software products each having their own chunks of code to perform a common task making everything more complex and bloated, they use the common .dll files for certain actions.

The downside of that is each software product can assign a priority to itself when two or more programs are trying to access the same .dll.

Good software is designed to assign itself a realistic position in the pecking order... bad software just elects itself number one and to hell with the rest!

If you suspect that any part of what I have written so far may apply I would, in the first instance, download a free program called "CCleaner" and use it to clean up any unnecessary files on my computer.

Then I would run the Registry Cleaner it comes with and clean out all old and unused registry entries.

Finally I would then run the defrag program to get the house totally back in order and retry your software to see where you are.

The next question you need to ask yourself is, "Are these video files from a source that was previously being handled OK by the software?"

If "Yes" move along folks nothing to see here.

If "No" then the software may be choking on some kind of proprietary formatting built in to the files, the chief suspect here is usually the timing code.

To combat that try loading the file into the software then render to a new file using the exact same parameters as the original. Sounds a bit pointless I know but what may happen is that your software corrects or adjusts what is causing it to choke and your life may return to normal... at least as far as editing goes.

If you are still reading this and still have the problem...

Uninstall the software, then-re-run CCleaner's registry fix module and get rid of any residual registry entries pertaining to AVS.

Re-install the software and see how you go.

If you are still screwed, uninstall AVS, re-run CCleaner Registry fix, shut down the computer and re-start in Safe Mode.

Reinstall AVS and see how you go. If at this point you are still screwed then as far as I know... you are.

Hope you at least got some idea there!

Quote Originally Posted by lancecarr View Post
    The next question you need to ask yourself is, "Are these video files from a source that was previously being handled OK by the software?"
    Very sensible. That would be my first step. Does the newly found poor performance also occur when using clips and settings which were previously satisfactory?

Quote Originally Posted by lancecarr View Post
    If "No" then the software may be choking on some kind of proprietary formatting built in to the files, the chief suspect here is usually the timing code.
    If the software worked correctly beforehand, then it doubtless continues to launch the Process with the same Priority settings, use the same code for handling multiple threads and/or multiple COU cores and locking of resources. I have no idea what other 'timing code' might be involved.
    The OP suggests these slowdowns now occur with other applications; thus simply reinstalling the offending app should have no effect.

I agree a defrag may be useful and I would also clear out old temp files from Windows' and the User's Temp folders. Then, I would run (depending on the OS), Performance Monitor and Resource Monitor to identify whether the bottlenecks occur due to CPU, Memory or Disk.

Thanks so much for the help guys I'll work on the CCleanup and see if that helps. The file types are exactly the same as before - the stalling came out of nowhere (to me at least). I've uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times which did nothing so I'm guessing it's all my computers memory and configuration etc. (sorry I'm completely usless at computer-talk). I've been in touch with AVS themselves who initially said to reinstall etc. Then I sent a screenshot of my computer configurations and they said it doesn't meet the minimum requirements... but it ran perfectly two weeks ago? Anyway, I'll crack on with what you guys have suggested and try free up some space on here - de-frag and all that, and see if that helps Much appreciated! Freddie