Thread: for the man who has everything ?

Default for the man who has everything ?

Sadly I don't have much disposable income these days but this looks quite good ...

Blackmagic Design: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

I've seen this around, there is a lot of buzz about it on the internet. It will be interesting to see what it's really like when it's released.

I'm sure it costs a lot more than that here in Australia, 665 quid is the perfect birthday pressie

Can't see specs for video record time, doubt if it can mange 10 minutes without nuclear meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post

Can't see specs for video record time, doubt if it can mange 10 minutes without nuclear meltdown.
    Removable Battery
    When you need to keep shooting, just replace the battery!

The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera includes a removable and rechargeable lithium ion battery, which provides up to an hour of continuous recording time. The Nikon EN-EL20 battery type is commonly available, so you can purchase multiple batteries if you need to shoot for longer periods. The battery charge time is approximately 1 hour 15 minutes with the camera off. With a wide 12-20V power input range the camera can easily be powered and charged from larger professional camera batteries and other power sources.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

I know the perceived Internet wisdom is that we should all go out and order one... But can someone explain why? I've read all the blurb, seen the promo videos and seen the reviews of a camera that hasn't been released. But I'm none the wiser. Why is this better than, say, a canon eos-m? And I'm talking real world here.

Like the title suggest ... For the man who has everything or maybe for the man who is in the financial position you were in when you wrote your space, geeks and wasting money blog

Seriously though, in not suggesting anyone runs out and buy one, just a heads up to the direction in which things are heading....affordable, Quality, interchangeable lens pocket cameras are the future
    Here's some footage from Vimeo ....

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera - Market on Vimeo

Blog Entries

Ahem: http://www.videoforums.co.uk/just-fu...n-cameras.html

To answer your question Marc, my understanding is the key features that would set this apart from trhe EOS-M would be the high dynamic range (13 stops vs - I've no idea what) and the codec. This camera records video in ProresHQ (and is expected to record in RAW as well). You can "push" both of these far more in post than you can .H264 which is what the EOS records in.

Theoretically, this camera is aimed at people who will shoot "flat" with low contrast and create the look they want in post as with the BMD 2.5K and new 4K cameras. It's probably a good entry into that way of working and I'm very tempted myself.

In practice I suspect loads of people will buy this as it's a "must have" but not do any grading at all and just assume it's a good image (whist privately wondering why it looks so lacking in contrast).
    Tim