Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new Garden Water Feature

Default My new Garden Water Feature

I recently filled in my pond and made a water feature with it. As the sun was shining yesterday I thought I'd film it.

I very much liked the smoothness of the scene (0:38- 0:5, and watched that bit several times. Can I assume it was done by changing the angle of the camera, and not by simply lowering the camera height (as one might get from using a horizontal slidecam type of device)?
    The whole clip demonstrates (to me) a great level of care and thought. And none of the flowers looked half dead. I had to watch it all twice before I could find anything to grumble about (01:55, which starts with the green leaves are out of focus).

Good spot Tim, I also am perplexed by the smoothness, normally tilting from that close I would expect some distortion, maybe this was taken from further away and then zoomed in post?

Nice piece, fitting music. Only grumble I found was the 2nd scene not having the figure centered, she seems to do a bit of a jump across screen after the first frame, I'd cheat and use a cross fade there

Do you do your pull focus manual or do you have a follow focus of some kind?

Nice piece MB!! Though I am slightly perplexed at your spending hard earned on a water feature ....surly it would be better spent on lens, and audio equipment

Btw, did I mention our collaboration, An English summers evening won best use of sound at the recent burnley film festival ?
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Thanks for viewing and commenting fellas.

The camera movement starting at 0:38 was a simple tilt down. That shot was done with my DSLR, I was about 6 feet away from the statue, I can't remember what the focal point was. I did ponder on using the last clip but thought it fitted the music well so I just convince myself that the leaf is in focus. (well it works for me)

Good call on putting a fade between the first and second shots. I've looked at it and it works better. I do the focus pull "manually" on the lens, The Panasonic is great for this but the Nikon is very hard to do it smoothly especially when I'm laid flat on the ground. I've got a follow focus on order which should arrive sometime this month. (from Hong Kong) so that should help.

Do be too perplexed enc, I didn't spend to much money on it. I had all the items already except for the stones which cost me about 50. So how many awards have we won all together ?

MB, I was looking at this home made follow focus, maybe you have tried this type of thing? Does it do the job, or is this why you've ordered the real thing?

DIY Follow Focus for your SLR Camera

I need one for sure, maybe you could provide a link to your purchase?

Looks interesting but I don't think I could bare to have cloths pegs on my expensive camera.

I didn't want to recommend the follow focus until I used it BUT I'll give you the link HERE, there are cheaper versions of this but they don't have the hard stops that I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    the last clip but thought it fitted the music well so I just convince myself that the leaf is in focus.
    Indeed, some Forum readers may have covered it up by adding a Jedi and sword, some zombies and a spacecraft. More seriously, I note the YT clip has the "3d" option enabled. I tried it with my red/cyan glasses; but it less resembled your garden than it did Mordor.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post

. So how many awards have we won all together ?

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/just-fu...tml#post197394
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

but it less resembled your garden than it did Mordor
    Without the clever filming & editing my garden actually does does resemble Mordor ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast