Thread: Help Deciding On Upgrade

Default Help Deciding On Upgrade

I currently use Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9. I'm not a pro, but I do like to edit video and audio. My main reason for upgrading is to be able to edit multi camera footage without cutting and pasting, which is what I do now. I need to edit audio and it would be nice to have that integrated. I haven't kept up with the available upgrade options. I've been thinking about going to Vegas Pro 12. Is this overkill for me? Is there a Movie Studio package that would work for me and be less expensive?
    My current system is: AMD Quad Core Phenom 9150e 1.8Ghz, 4 gig ram, Windows Vista Home 64 bit. I know it's not a great system, but it seems to handle what I do now with no problems. Would I need to upgrade this system if I upgrade my software?
    Thanks for any help.

as you now have VMSP 9, I'd suggest that you download and install the free trial of Movie Studio Platinum 12. Test with it to see if it does what you want. If so, consider upgrading to MSPlatinum Suite 12, you'll get Sound Forge Audio Studio 10 as an extra at a small additional cost. Some do prefer the free Audacity though. Vista meets the minimum system requirements of MSP 12.

Are you certain that MSP12 has a multi cam option? I opened the manual and it didn't mention that. Thanks for the help.

right, the Studio version does not have the actual multi camera mode that Vegas Pro has.
    Maybe you should try it to see if that feature and others are worth the extra cost to you.
    Last edited by vkmast; 05-01-2013 at 06:37 AM.

London, England

Movie Studio v10 had a multi-camera feature, but not called that - it is composite level switching (DYOR) and enables parallel tracks to be switched on/off at will.
    This may suit, - but maybe it was in v9 as well???
    V11 and above have added -p to the import files and v12 has some extras like more animated text.
    Agree that sound forge is useful as you can lift (a Copy) of the soundtrack, work on it and then I will drop it back as a separate audio file - so you can switch between the synced original and a new "better" track.

I decided to take the plunge and ordered a copy of VPro 12 Suite. I'm sure it's way more than I need for my little projects, but I figure it might help my efforts to look better and I'll probably use it for quite a while. I'm in L.A. and it's coming from the U.K., so I don't know when I'll get it. I sure when I do, I'll have questions. Thanks for the help.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

I'm sure you won't regret it. Just don't expect to be able to do everything that Hit Film Ultimate can do without lots of practice it. It's a great value package.