Thread: Overlay text only on 1 of the video tracks in my project

Default Overlay text only on 1 of the video tracks in my project

HI guys, im having a problem overlaying text on just one video track on my project, It shows as an overlay on all video tracks underneath it, how do i just show the text on the single video track. I wish to have different text overlayed over each different video track in the end and then use multicamera editing to cut them together showing the correct text over each video as i cut between them. oh im using sony vagas as well

I hope that makes sense and someone can help me.

Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by evansmike881; 04-30-2013 at 12:24 PM.

The software works on the principle that anything above another track will overlay on the track below it. So what ever you want underneath has to be the lowest track with anything on top above it. So you have found that the software is work as intended.

An exception to this is if you change the composition mode of a track. You can also key out some objects or backgrounds with chroma keying.

Does this help ?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    The software works on the principle that anything above another track will overlay on the track below it. So what ever you want underneath has to be the lowest track with anything on top above it. So you have found that the software is work as intended.

An exception to this is if you change the composition mode of a track. You can also key out some objects or backgrounds with chroma keying.

Does this help ?

So if i wanted different text overlays per video stream i would have to do them separate and save them individually, then import them back into do my final multicamera video??

Thanks Mike

I can't answer that as I don't know exactly what you are doing but I suppose that would be one way of doing it. You may be able to do it all in the same project if you plan the tracks correctly but like I say without knowing exactly what your trying to do it's hard for me to know.

Blog Entries

You can do this with parent/child relationships.
    Track 1 - nothing
    Track 2 - text for video stream 1 (or, more accurately any video events on track 3)
    Track 3 - video stream 1
    Track 4 nothing
    Track 5 - text for text for video stream 2 (or, more accurately any video events on track 6)
    Track 6 - video stream 2

Now make tracks 2 and 3 child tracks of track 1 and make tracks 5 and 6 child tracks of track 4

Tracks 1 and 4 are now your compositied tracks which you can apply a mute envelope to "hide" the stream (show the one beneath)

Obviously if you had an audio track for each you'd have T1 = parent, T2 - text for Stream 1, T3 = video for stream 1, T4 = audio for stream 1 and
    T5 = parent, T6 = text for stream 2, T7 = videso stream 2, T8 = audio for stream 2

For further control, insert a "Generated Media - solid colour - white" on the parent track and change the composite mode to "Multiply (Mask)". You can now play with the composite level of the parent track (add fades etc) and this will apply to all the tracks (text and video) that are parented to this track. Neat, huh?
    Tim

Superbly written Tutorial Tim. Well constructed with logical flow. I like that very much indeed.
    Last edited by Grazie; 05-01-2013 at 07:37 AM.