Thread: Matching picture with Sony Z5

Default Matching picture with Sony Z5

Hi There, I have just brought a Sony Z5 and am starting to replace my 2x PD170s and 2100. I film weddings, dance school productions etc. I need to get 1 or 2 more cameras to get the angle coverage I get with my SD cameras. I see that there a several Sonys for sale at auction, Z1s, V1s and also Z7s.. The Z7s have the same size chips as the Z5 but the Z1s and V1s are different. I am sure that the Z1 and V1 are great cameras, but I need to make sure that the pictures are the same, colour ect to the Z5 for editing purposes. Has anyone done any mixed clip editing with these different cameras and if so is there any difference when cutting from one camera video to another? I guess I could wait until another Z5 turns up and have the same configurations?? Cheers from NZ.

If you are concerned about the look of the image, this could occur even with two identical camera even if the settings seem to be the same. All it takes is the white balance to be done in different conditions BUT I'm sure you know this. Most modern NLEs can cope with different formats on the same timeline without any problems. I often mix AVCHD with DVCPro HD and have never had a problem. It might be better if all the footage was the same resolution but even this aspect isn't usually a problem.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If you are concerned about the look of the image, this could occur even with two identical camera even if the settings seem to be the same. All it takes is the white balance to be done in different conditions BUT I'm sure you know this. Most modern NLEs can cope with different formats on the same timeline without any problems. I often mix AVCHD with DVCPro HD and have never had a problem. It might be better if all the footage was the same resolution but even this aspect isn't usually a problem.

Hope this helps.
    Hi, Yes you are right. My concern is having cameras with 1/3 cmos chips and 1/4 ccds and the cameras having different lenses and this combo could give me problems trying to match colours, low light filming etc. My thinking is that if I had cameras of the same model I wouldn't have so much of a problem. The less I have to do to correct things the better. Thanks for your reply..

Hi,Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I probably forgot to mention that the setups I use for filming dance productions etc are multi-cam with at least 2 or sometimes 3 cameras and then edited in a pc. Therefore I would need the same picture look from the 2/3 other cameras. That is why I need my other cameras to have the same (or VERY near) picture look to my main Sony Z5. I am looking to the Sony Z1 or Sony V1 at this stage untill another Z5 (or Z7) comes to auction.Hope this makes sense. Cheers..