Thread: Cutting out a Background Without Green Screen?

Default Cutting out a Background Without Green Screen?

I hope this is the right place to post, but was wondering if it were possible to record a video and have the first few frames capture the background, and use them to cut out the background when I go to stand in front of the camera. As the video changes by moving in front of the camera or anything that the camera captures that is different from the background, I would think that it would be possible to cut out the background since the background itself is not moving. I'm not sure if I'm being clear enough, but I hope I am.

If anybody knows if this is possible with any particular video editing software, let me know. I use Cyberlink Powerdirector in particular if anybody is familiar with that.

You would need to be sure that the background does not contain any of the colours of your skin and clothes.

The other thing you would have to watch out for is any thing moving in the background even slightly and having the camera locked off so it records exactly the same background and it has to be exactly including lighting, sun position leaves fluttering in the breeze or it won't work. Place the one track above the other and change the compositing mode to subtract. The only other way is to mask out the back ground with a masking tool by hand.

I don't know if you can do this in Power Director. You can in Sony Vegas Pro.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    The other thing you would have to watch out for is any thing moving in the background even slightly and having the camera locked off
    And turn OFF any image stabilisation.
    The process is called "Difference Masking" if you want to Google it.
    Tim